Great White Shark
Sand$: 6,242.12
I agree it’s systemic.
But it’s also a private industry. So the owners make the calls on what’s what. The consumer can choose to not view/purchase/support a clearly racist industry.
If there is enough consumer sentiment behind reform of the disparity within the coaching ranks, then there will be change.

2019 Divine Comedy Champion
Master of Snowflakes Tour
Great White Shark
So, I’m waiting for the virtue signaling, racially activist, fantasy owning, jersey buying, couch sitting fans to stop consuming And start refusing to participate unless there is real change.

I’m only partly trolling.

In my mind, there is such a huge disparity, it’s hard to ignore. And if equality of opportunity is part of your world view, you might want to dig deeper into what the league is providing in entertainment vs your values.

If it’s not that big a deal to you, where you’ll continue to consume the league in all forms - yet you will continue to support equal rights across the Constitutional landscape - you might want to readjust your views. Because the NFL coaching situation and Equality of opportunity don’t grok.

Blue Shark
Sand$: 590.61
What if they punish teams for hiring white men instead of rewarding teams that hire minorities? Take picks away, make teams drop back a few spots in rounds. Are white women considered minorities? They did not mention women at all in the article.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 35,752.00
CornShute wrote:What if they punish teams for hiring white men instead of rewarding teams that hire minorities? Take picks away, make teams drop back a few spots in rounds. Are white women considered minorities? They did not mention women at all in the article.

I don't like the idea of punishing/rewarding people for hires. I'm all for ensuring more minorities can interview.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 80,872.92
Elmagister wrote:
CornShute wrote:What if they punish teams for hiring white men instead of rewarding teams that hire minorities? Take picks away, make teams drop back a few spots in rounds. Are white women considered minorities? They did not mention women at all in the article.

I don't like the idea of punishing/rewarding people for hires. I'm all for ensuring more minorities can interview.

Agree. I’m not sure how to fix this. I Also agree they’re are coaches who deserve to be hired over some other coaches that are white .

I want to say , that eventually the owners will change over and this will change. I’m probably wrong.
Megalodon
Sand$: 42,224.36
rugger48 wrote:
Elmagister wrote:

Agree. I’m not sure how to fix this. I Also agree they’re are coaches who deserve to be hired over some other coaches that are white .

I want to say , that eventually the owners will change over and this will change. I’m probably wrong.

The trend of young coaches coming in and being successful will help kill the old trend of rehashing unsuccessful old white guys.

But the NFL is onto the right line of the problem, guys not getting the positions that lead to head coaching jobs. It's tough to say "ok, hire more people of color as head coaches" when the pipeline they come from is full of white dudes. I don't have the answer, but trying to fill the jobs that coaches traditionally come from with more diversity is the right idea.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 19,158.50
R2000 wrote:I dont like the way that they are incentivizing minority hires, but absolutely hate that they are rewarding teams that let go of minority HC/GM candidates for promotions (3rd rounder) than the teams that are hiring them (move up 6-10 spots in round 3).

I mean, it's a supply/demand problem that has a major supply problem.

They aren't rewarding teams to let go of minority assistants, they are incentivizing teams to HIRE more assistants so they actually have minority assistants to let go of.

Your comment predisposes that there are a lot of minority assistants to begin with. There aren't.

You don't build Rome in a day. If the NFL wants things to change they need to incentivize more assistants to get hired and this does that, increasing the HC minority candidate pool and allow minorities to develop.

It's wrong to give draft picks for hiring a minority HC. That should be on merit. And the minority candidate would probably feel the same way. The current incentive is enough as an "icing on the cake" to a quality candidate.

I think this system is pretty well thought out without creating perverse incentives. The NFL probably hired some sort of economic firm to create this.
Blue Shark
Sand$: 590.61
Is there a mention of hiring women to fill minority roles? I wonder if there is a threshold for a percentage of minority coaches are in order to receive the incentive. Seems like 50% would count... how about 25% or 12.5%? All of a sudden we will find out about how Bill Belichick had a Hispanic great grandmother and he will want his incentives.
Sand$: 40,099.51
no, women are not included
There is no threshold
Great White Shark
I’ll say it again:
The NFL needs to go full on AA if it wants to avoid the mob.
Make it mandatory to hire a certain percentage of minorities/women/etc.
The shield is well on its way to total submission to the mob.
Might as well get on with it.
Nothing else will satisfy the mob except submission.
Therefore: mandatory hiring quotas.

Sand$: 40,099.51
Not recognizing change is required and dismissing it as submission to the mob is a fear mentality.