Cam Newton - Patriot

Megalodon
Sand$: 23,411.90
we might see Cam a bit more motivated...somehow money can do that to people.

"If I shot at you with a gun and the only reason you were alive was because I missed how would you feel?"
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 119,111.02
grace wrote:The problem with Cam is whether he can ever come back from all the injuries. Tannehill's problem was terrible coaching ... and that's easy to fix.

Right, this isn't complicated. Cam's risk assessment is essentially tied to his health. If he's healthy then he will at least be a good play in our game and I think there's reason to believe he will be more - some tangible and some intangible reasons. Is he healthy though? Anyone pretending they have that answer is kidding themselves. He's not been right since sometime in 2016.
HammerHead Shark
Sand$: 3,831.42
zuggyawesome wrote:When was he beaten out by Kyle Allen? He was clearly unable to plant on his foot during the two games he tried to play, and he ended up getting Lisfranc surgery this offseason. This isn't a "phantom injury" used to save face.

2019, I thought? I didn't follow it that closely. If it's a legit injury, that's more cause for concern I would think.

If Cam's 90% does he still win the job?

This is a flyer for the pats, in real life.

2003, 2011, & 2018 Brutal, Savage, Beyond Perversion League Champion
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 119,111.02
Jaws wrote:
zuggyawesome wrote:When was he beaten out by Kyle Allen? He was clearly unable to plant on his foot during the two games he tried to play, and he ended up getting Lisfranc surgery this offseason. This isn't a "phantom injury" used to save face.

2019, I thought? I didn't follow it that closely. If it's a legit injury, that's more cause for concern I would think.

If Cam's 90% does he still win the job?

This is a flyer for the pats, in real life.

It was a very legit injury. He first injured it during preseason then like many tried to come back too soon and the second injury was worse than the first. But for me his shoulder's the bigger issue than the wheel. It's been effed up since 2016. What happened between that surgery and his next shoulder injury during 2018? I dunno, but not many explanations about it will make you feel any better about it.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 18,858.86
From a fantasy perspective we can probably expect his historical production with the following modifiers:

Improvement
-OLine improvement: Newton historically has played behind pretty bad OLines at CAR. NE's will be a bit of an upgrade. How much we don't know. CAR's Oline improved in recent years. 2018/2019 was probably only a little bit below NE's current OLine.

-WR: Until recent years, Cam hasn't had a good supporting cast at CAR. NE seemingly will be an upgrade despite how bad people consider them to be at WR.

-OC: Josh McDaniels > Norv Turner. I think most would agree.

Negative
-OLine: Cam isn't going to become Tom Brady. The 2019 NE OLine wasn't as good as the NE OLines from years past and arguably Tom's quick decision making ability gave NE a few more wins than they deserved. 2020 doesn't look much better.

-Injury: Obviously he's suffered injuries in his career. They may or may not come back. Also they may have sapped his running ability.

-Money: Big concern and a double edged sword. NE isn't going to baby Cam like a $20M quarterback. I'd expect a lot of QB draws and run plays like Lamar Jackson, only Cam isn't fast like Lamar to outrun everyone on the field. Could increase his injury chances. Also increase his fantasy production.

I don't know if there's anything else that might change his expected production.
Mako Shark
Sand$: 1,493.92
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
In the 1-year deal for #Patriots QB Cam Newton, the team guaranteed him just $550K — on a $1.05M total base. The definition of low-risk. The reward comes in $700k in per-game rosters bonuses and another $5.75M in incentives. The max is $7.5M in all.
6:28 AM · Jul 2, 2020

:censor: deal.

That said- isn't this sort of how player contracts should look? Maybe... a little performance based?

*Edit* as to say- (not using Cams exact numbers as an example but the format) the big money is being offered, if you earn it this year with how you play.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 18,858.86
Off Constantly wrote:That said- isn't this sort of how player contracts should look? Maybe... a little performance based?

1. They kinda already are. A player does well, then he gets paid.

2. That's how you get an every-man-for-himself team. Something something I in team.

Yeah, lets give our QB an performance incentive contract. Better not call option plays. RB totally isn't getting optioned the ball.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 35,313.22
Off Constantly wrote:
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
In the 1-year deal for #Patriots QB Cam Newton, the team guaranteed him just $550K — on a $1.05M total base. The definition of low-risk. The reward comes in $700k in per-game rosters bonuses and another $5.75M in incentives. The max is $7.5M in all.
6:28 AM · Jul 2, 2020

:censor: deal.

That said- isn't this sort of how player contracts should look? Maybe... a little performance based?

*Edit* as to say- (not using Cams exact numbers as an example but the format) the big money is being offered, if you earn it this year with how you play.

Sure, and when players on their rookie contracts overperform, you give them big money, right? Right?
Mako Shark
I guess I'd say in this theoretical that rookie contract would have similar incentives.

And I get your points to a degree, but if everyone in the league was playing on the same incentive based contracts, then the "I" factor goes back to "we" as the team collectively needs to do well to earn incentives.
Mako Shark
Off Constantly wrote:I guess I'd say in this theoretical that rookie contract would have similar incentives.

And I get your points to a degree, but if everyone in the league was playing on the same incentive based contracts, then the "I" factor goes back to "we" as *EDIT*a team that performs well collectively earns incentives collectively.

I'm bad at forum posts.
Mako Shark
Maybe incentives are tied to overall team or unit performance- top ranked offensive line, making playoffs, etc
Mako Shark
In fact, I'd argue that if everyone were on the performance based contract, any sort of "I" type behavior would get squashed quick because it would affect the rest of the team.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 35,313.22
Off Constantly wrote:I guess I'd say in this theoretical that rookie contract would have similar incentives.

And I get your points to a degree, but if everyone in the league was playing on the same incentive based contracts, then the "I" factor goes back to "we" as the team collectively needs to do well to earn incentives.

I disagree. Incentives make Peele more likely to look out for themselves.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 313,548.97
This is a great move. Another brilliant deal for billy

Image Image