User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 7751
Joined: Fri Nov 9, 2007
Sand$: 22,173.84
Last year, I saw Waller's background on Hard Knox and was like, I need that guy on my team.
This year, I saw that WR coach hype up Herbert and was like, I need that guy on my team.

That Hard Knox has been a goldmine for my dynasty league the past two seasons, lol.
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 10316
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010
Sand$: 19,817.42
bluemist wrote:Top 10 QB with a juicy schedule.
I was wrong. He is now the #3 QB -per game- in our league. \:D/
_______________________________________

In remembrance of Walter, D-Day veteran and my friend. Never forget.
User avatar
Honorary Mod (powerless)
Posts: 32112
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005
Sand$: 2,789.98
bluemist wrote:
bluemist wrote:Top 10 QB with a juicy schedule.
I was wrong. He is now the #3 QB -per game- in our league. \:D/

Number 1, by a large margin, over the last 4 weeks in my leagues.
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 4614
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009
Sand$: 7,995.42
Sad how Tyrod lost his job and I'd bet Lynn would still be playing him if it hadn't happened. I had my fingers crossed with Herbert since the draft and could not be happier with what he's done and where he can go from here.

His arm is ridiculous and he can run a bit too. It's exactly what they needed to cover up some warts on the O line which Rivers made look like garbage year in year out.
_______________________________________

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
William G. McAdoo
User avatar
HammerHead Shark
Posts: 906
Joined: Mon Sep 1, 2008
Sand$: 2,001.74
scootm44 wrote:I can't remember what we didn't like about him back on draft day.

Besides the fact that he was the backup?
_______________________________________

QB: Herbert, Tagovailoa   RB: A.Jones, Chubb, Mostert, McKinnon, J.Williams  WR: Parker, Lockett, Higgins, Reagor
TE: Kelce  IDP: Baker  K: Lutz  DST: PIT   12-team,redraft+1kp,non-ppr,start10:QB,1-3RB,2-4WR,1-3TE,1DP,K,DST
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 19219
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007
Sand$: 145,210.05
garsh wrote:
scootm44 wrote:I can't remember what we didn't like about him back on draft day.

Besides the fact that he was the backup?

I was talking about real life not fantasy. There was not much love for his future pro prospects.
_______________________________________

Image
User avatar
HammerHead Shark
Posts: 906
Joined: Mon Sep 1, 2008
Sand$: 2,001.74
scootm44 wrote:I was talking about real life not fantasy.
Ah. Ok
There was not much love for his future pro prospects.
Are you referring to some discussion in the forums here, or in general?
I'm guessing the former, since he was a first-rounder, sixth-overall?
_______________________________________

QB: Herbert, Tagovailoa   RB: A.Jones, Chubb, Mostert, McKinnon, J.Williams  WR: Parker, Lockett, Higgins, Reagor
TE: Kelce  IDP: Baker  K: Lutz  DST: PIT   12-team,redraft+1kp,non-ppr,start10:QB,1-3RB,2-4WR,1-3TE,1DP,K,DST
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 32907
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004
Sand$: 26,259.00
OarChambo wrote:
scootm44 wrote:I can't remember what we didn't like about him back on draft day.

His college coaching, apparently.



This. All of this.

Herbert was Charlie Checkdown at Oregon and rarely threw it deep.

The multi level throwing ability was rarely seen. Oregon has always had mediocre WR’s until recently, as well. And his best WR last year got hurt.

I’m fine with the fact that I was totally wrong about Herbert, it’s good for the reputation of Oregon players in the NFL, and it’s great for my dynasty team ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
_______________________________________

2019 Sharks with Big Sticks Champion
2019 Stealing Home Keeper League Champion
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 9327
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005
Sand$: 9,507.79
SJSwarm wrote:
OarChambo wrote:
scootm44 wrote:I can't remember what we didn't like about him back on draft day.

His college coaching, apparently.



This. All of this.

Herbert was Charlie Checkdown at Oregon and rarely threw it deep.

The multi level throwing ability was rarely seen. Oregon has always had mediocre WR’s until recently, as well. And his best WR last year got hurt.

I’m fine with the fact that I was totally wrong about Herbert, it’s good for the reputation of Oregon players in the NFL, and it’s great for my dynasty team ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


I’m just glad that enough people were wrong about him that I could get him off waivers a couple weeks ago in my keeper league.
_______________________________________

2019 LOT “The Resurrected One”
2015 LOT Norse League Champion
Image
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 29929
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008
Sand$: 81,072.90
SJSwarm wrote:
OarChambo wrote:
scootm44 wrote:I can't remember what we didn't like about him back on draft day.

His college coaching, apparently.



This. All of this.

Herbert was Charlie Checkdown at Oregon and rarely threw it deep.

The multi level throwing ability was rarely seen. Oregon has always had mediocre WR’s until recently, as well. And his best WR last year got hurt.

I’m fine with the fact that I was totally wrong about Herbert, it’s good for the reputation of Oregon players in the NFL, and it’s great for my dynasty team ¯\_(ツ)_/¯



Just for the record I didn’t see a lot if people arguing against you about him.
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 32907
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004
Sand$: 26,259.00
I mean I saw him going in the 4th and 5th rounds of dynasty rookie drafts. I know I wasn’t the only one who didn’t see this coming.
_______________________________________

2019 Sharks with Big Sticks Champion
2019 Stealing Home Keeper League Champion
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 58943
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 120,612.26
Right, I don't think his valuation given the info we had in May was bad process. It's just further evidence that forecasting qb's to our game is error prone. The risk assessment depends on many unquantifiable factors. It's important to account for everything you can, but just be aware that we will never be privy to all information.
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 6850
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005
Sand$: 12,760.84
Yep, he was a huge wiff for me. In fact whatever evaluators I was listening to back before my rookie draft almost moved Herbert into "do not draft" territory for me. I'm not trying to blame anyone else here (I know I'm supposed to do my own research but since I don't watch college ball that's harder... I'm just not going to sit around watching "tape" for hours).

But seriously it wasn't just folks here who didn't see this coming. It was LITERALLY every podcast I listened to, every article I read, etc. etc.

He went in the 4th round of my dyno draft. Tyrod went the pick right after him.
_______________________________________

I'm a dudette. Image
Great White Shark
Posts: 4228
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008
Sand$: 7,946.00
bunnywafer wrote:Yep, he was a huge wiff for me. In fact whatever evaluators I was listening to back before my rookie draft almost moved Herbert into "do not draft" territory for me. I'm not trying to blame anyone else here (I know I'm supposed to do my own research but since I don't watch college ball that's harder... I'm just not going to sit around watching "tape" for hours).

But seriously it wasn't just folks here who didn't see this coming. It was LITERALLY every podcast I listened to, every article I read, etc. etc.

He went in the 4th round of my dyno draft. Tyrod went the pick right after him.


Yeah. I didn’t see it coming pre season. My post was after the Tampa Bay game - his 3rd start, but before the MNF game where I predicted a blowup. Guys like Herbert are why I typically wait on QB. There is usually a late rounder or waiver wire QB that can deliver better value.
_______________________________________

QB: Russ/Tanny / RB: Jones, Davis, Ahmed, Hines, Williams, Booker, Gaskin(IR), Aiyuk (IR)
WR: Dvnte, AJBrown, ARob, Tee / Fant, Gdrt / Lutz / MIN
--
QB: Herb RB: DCook, Jacbs, Mattsn, Booker
WR: Ridley, DK, JJeff, Gllday / Jonnu / Carlson / LAR,CHI
Megalodon
Posts: 14106
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007
Sand$: 52,217.06
Herbert usually went mid-late 3rd round, which felt too early for me and was still considering WR/LB at those positions. Really needed a qb bad in 2-3 dynasties, sigh.