Fun League Playoff Schedule Options

Mako Shark
Sand$: 2,647.61
Looking at some options for a completely fun 12 team league. No money is changing hands, so as commissioner, a lot of latitude for mixing it up. Some options:

1. Eight team make the playoffs, four don't, and those eight contend for the title in weeks 14-16.

2. Everyone is in the playoffs. The top 4 seeds get a week 13 bye (or play each other for smack talking fun). In week 13 the other 8 have to qualify for the next round: #5 plays #12, #6 plays #11, etc.

3. We have one playoff in week 16. Teams are seeded by their record and total points scored through 15 weeks. Then #1 plays #2, #3 plays #4, #11 plays #12, and so on.

Shouldn't we have figured this out earlier, you ask? We created this league thinking there was a decent chance the season might get cancelled a few weeks in.

Which do you like?
Great White Shark
Sand$: 11,217.09
redraft or dynasty?

AUction draft or snake?

cash league?
Last edited by NautArch on Thu 11.19.2020, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Shark
Sand$: 258.78
If it is just for fun then go with option #2. More teams more fun friends can have
Mako Shark
Sand$: 2,647.61
It's a redraft. This year the commissioner in our decades old league wasn't going to renew it; he figured it was pointless with COVID, that the season would shut down after a couple weeks.

Eventually another guy stepped up to be commissioner, and we drafted maybe 2 days before the first game.

While this was playing out I started a free league on a different platform, just for fun and chatter. That's this one, where I'm figuring how to structure the playoffs.

It's funny, I've played FF for a great number of years, and I can't say that money leagues have been any more fun than free ones. This one has been good -- a lot of posting, transactions, and overall engagement. Maybe it's 2020, people have time and enjoy more the interaction.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 6,361.96
Not a fan of #3, because #1 vs #2, etc, doesn't reward teams for doing well in the yr. Why play #2 when you should play #11.

Not a fan of everyone makes the playoffs either. If you in last place with a 2-11 record, you aren't deserving to be in the playoffs. Then you blowup and beat the teams that blew you up by a 50pt margin the regular season. lol
Great White Shark
Sand$: 11,217.09
In my leagues, I had generally set up a playoff bracket and then a consolation bracket that would determine draft order for the next year.

In the 12 team league, the top 6 made it to playoffs for the championship and prizes while the bottom six vied for first choice of picks.

The consolation ladder would end up allowing oflks to choose their draft position first by order of finish and then we did the reverse for the championship ladder.

THe idea here was to keep folks interested in the consolation ladder by giving them the priority for choosing draft position. Couple that with a lower draft position for the top ladder, it becomes something interesting for all an has a built-in governor for dynasties by giving the winner last draft slot option.
Whale Shark
Sand$: 16,689.83
NautArch wrote:In my leagues, I had generally set up a playoff bracket and then a consolation bracket that would determine draft order for the next year.

In the 12 team league, the top 6 made it to playoffs for the championship and prizes while the bottom six vied for first choice of picks.

The consolation ladder would end up allowing oflks to choose their draft position first by order of finish and then we did the reverse for the championship ladder.

THe idea here was to keep folks interested in the consolation ladder by giving them the priority for choosing draft position. Couple that with a lower draft position for the top ladder, it becomes something interesting for all an has a built-in governor for dynasties by giving the winner last draft slot option.

Interesting