Megalodon
Sand$: 39,226.70
bluemist wrote:Ben looks done IMO. Still, moving from Ben to Stafford does not seem like a Pitt-kinda move. Seems more likely that if Stafford leaves then Indy is his most likely suitor.

San Francisco* for Stafford?
I haven't looked at the cap situation for the 49ers, but it looks like a good fit for a team with a strong defense and some excellent playmakers on offense (if everyone can get/stay healthy) and a legitimate chance to compete for a super bowl if things go right.

*Indy is a great fit, and I've joined many others in suggesting it in other threads (maybe this one, too). But there are likely to be other suitors, and SF looks like a reasonable one that would be similarly attractive.

"If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, then you are the sucker."
-Mike McD, Rounders
Sand$: 40,479.47
Steelers won't re-sign OC Randy Fichtner.
Pittsburgh will allow Fichtner's contract to expire ahead of the new league year and won't bring him back. This was an expected move after the Steelers' only success on offense in the last two months was the one half Ben Roethlisberger called his own plays following the intermission in Week 16 against the Colts. With JuJu Smith-Schuster's and James Conner's contracts also running their course (and Roethlisberger having only one year left on his deal), it's possible the team's offense looks entirely different in Week 1 of the 2021 season. Fichtner should still have no issues finding another job as a QBs or assistant coach on the market.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 43,181.39
I wish this thread along with the Josh Gordon thread would...

2020 House Of Bourbon
2020 Deep Black
Megalodon
Sand$: 21,979.32
jesteva wrote:I wish this thread along with the Josh Gordon thread would...

This puppy is only going when Ben goes baby. :D

In remembrance of Walter, D-Day veteran and my friend. Never forget.
Supreme Megalodon
Staffords a much better fit for a team built to contend for a few years like Indy and would be an upgrade over Rivers talent and age wise.

PIT is going to be a cluster F next year regardless of who the QB is given their cap situation and the vet contributors they have little to no chance who are FAs so adding Stafford would make little to no sense.

It actually makes more sense to me to cut Ben, recognize you need at least a partial rebuild and take a flier on a lottery ticket purchase like Jameis Winston.

2020 House Of Bourbon
2020 Deep Black
Megalodon
Sand$: 21,979.32
jesteva wrote:Staffords a much better fit for a team built to contend for a few years like Indy and would be an upgrade over Rivers talent and age wise.

PIT is going to be a cluster F next year regardless of who the QB is given their cap situation and the vet contributors they have little to no chance who are FAs so adding Stafford would make little to no sense.

It actually makes more sense to me to cut Ben, recognize you need at least a partial rebuild and take a flier on a lottery ticket purchase like Jameis Winston.
I still think Wentz is a possibility there. No idea how they would make the money work however.

In remembrance of Walter, D-Day veteran and my friend. Never forget.
Supreme Megalodon
You could be right but I view Wentz as a dice roll....you pretty much know what you'll get with Stafford.

He's definitely attractive to a few teams who feel they can compete sooner than later depending on the trade cost and the cap ramifications...

Trading for Stafford would essentially equate to adding a veteran QB on a two-year deal worth $43 million in total. With 10 QBs currently earning $30 million or over, Stafford would rank as the 20th highest-paid quarterback. That number should certainly interest franchises with cap space and an uncertain QB situation. If the Lions are willing to trade Stafford, he should certainly have some suitors.

2020 House Of Bourbon
2020 Deep Black
Great White Shark
Sand$: 10,441.26
Scary thought. Steelers somehow get Watson.

Steelers need someone more mobile than Stafford.
Supreme Megalodon
PIT is one of the worst FA / cap situations in the NFL with almost 20 players hitting FA including many starters.

To put it lightly, the Steelers are in “Salary cap hell” for the 2021 season.

I've bolded starters...they be in deep doo doo and in no position whatsoever to even think about Watson no matter what they do with Roethlisberger.

Bud Dupree — EDGE — UFA

Alejandro Villanueva — LT — UFA
Avery Williamson — LB — UFA
Mike Hilton — CB — UFA
Matt Feiler — RT — UFA
Tyson Alualu — IDL — UFA
Zach Banner — RT — UFA
JuJu Smith-Schuster — WR — UFA
Jayrone Elliott — EDGE — UFA
Cassius Marsh — EDGE — UFA
Jordan Berry — P — UFA
Chris Wormley — IDL — UFA
Danny Isidora — RG — UFA
Trey Edmunds — RB — RFA (released from the team)
Sean Davis — S — UFA
Jordan Dangerfield — S — UFA
Cameron Sutton — CB — UFA
James Conner — RB — UFA

Jerald Hawkins — RT — UFA
Ray-Ray McCloud — WR — RFA
Joshua Dobbs — QB — UFA
Marcus Allen — S — ERFA
Olasunkanmi Adeniyi — EDGE — RFA
J.C. Hassenauer — C ERFA
Robert Spillane — LB — ERFA

2020 House Of Bourbon
2020 Deep Black
Great White Shark
Sand$: 10,441.26
Thank God.

Sorry Steeler fans!
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 74,648.94
tsbgrayghost wrote:Thank God.

Sorry Steeler fans!

Not so fast.
It won’t happen, but post June first cut reduces Ben cap to 23 million. They have multiple players to cut that save them a lot.

McDonald saves 5 million
Nelson 8 million

To start

Ben gets them even, then those 2 are are minus 13.

It’s not that hard to fit him.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 121,451.28
Of course the steelers could make it work. The path to doing so is to make their cap hell situation in 22 worse than 21.
Supreme Megalodon
It makes zero sense for PIT to cut him post June 1....he earns $15m of roster bonus on March 1 which is $15m of the total $19m in cash they owe him for a 21 season.

Cutting him post June 1 results in them putting out $19m in cash they wouldn't have to in order to only spread half his $41m cap hit (and they don't have him to QBin 21) into 22... not happening.

You get the same rough cap hit in 21 by cutting him now, saving the roster bonus payment and don't have to have any hit in 22

2020 House Of Bourbon
2020 Deep Black
Supreme Megalodon
jesteva wrote:It makes zero sense for PIT to cut him post June 1....he earns $15m of roster bonus on March 1 which is $15m of the total $19m in cash they owe him for a 21 season.

Cutting him post June 1 results in them putting out $19m in cash they wouldn't have to in order to only spread half his $41m cap hit (and they don't have him to QBin 21) into 22... not happening.

You get the same rough cap hit in 21 by cutting him now, saving the roster bonus payment and don't have to have any hit in 22

Yep I didn’t look far enough. Either way , if we needed to fit watson under the cap we could.
Supreme Megalodon
OarChambo wrote:Of course the steelers could make it work. The path to doing so is to make their cap hell situation in 22 worse than 21.

You still worry about the cap. Rams seem fine.