Phillip Rivers retires

Post Reply  
Great White Shark
Posts: 3575
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014
Sand$: 10,741.98
Not sure if he’s HOF material.
Agree with those above. Wouldn’t bother me either way; in or not.

What I do wish would’ve happened was Rivers signing with the Raiders as a FA before Carr was on the scene.
I really loved his fire, and would have enjoyed him being a Raider
_______________________________________

2019 Divine Comedy Champion
Master of Snowflakes Tour
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 29277
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006
Sand$: 49,558.15
endzoneview wrote:He’s one of those guys that if he gets in, ok
If he doesn’t get in, ok


Concur.

If you match him up against another QB who is mentioned as a potential HOF'r, Eli Manning, I don't feel strongly if either gets in or not. If you compare both to a guy not in like LeRoy Kelly...neither stacks up IMO.

Over the course of ten seasons, Kelly had 7,275 rushing yards and 74 touchdowns, was an NFL Champion in 1964, six-time Pro Bowler, four-time First-team All-Pro, Bert Bell Award winner, two-time league rushing yards leader, three-time league rushing touchdowns leader, and NFL 1960s All-Decade Team member
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 11457
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010
Sand$: 45,115.47
There was nothing better than the early rivalry with Jay Cutler.
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 30456
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008
Sand$: 75,269.00
Rivers gets in easy. Shouldnt be first ballot.
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 7644
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010
Sand$: 27,285.98
Nope.
Never elite.
King of dumb turnovers.
Never won jack.
Hacker.
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 33647
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004
Sand$: 27,438.72
rugger48 wrote:Rivers gets in easy. Shouldnt be first ballot.



In the reproduction HOF maybe. Him and Cromartie are 1st ballot there for sure.
_______________________________________

#FIREGRUDEN
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 30456
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008
Sand$: 75,269.00
He’s 5th tds and yardage. Look I get it , but in no world is that not hof wothy. The 4 guys ahead of him are first ballot guys or will be. No he doesn’t deserve first ballot, but he deserves to be in easy.
Great White Shark
Posts: 9146
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010
Sand$: 19,928.80
rugger48 wrote:He’s 5th tds and yardage. Look I get it , but in no world is that not hof wothy. The 4 guys ahead of him are first ballot guys or will be. No he doesn’t deserve first ballot, but he deserves to be in easy.


Cementing your argument, Philip Rivers beat out Dan Marino (61,000 and 420 pass TDs) in those stats.

And Dan Marino is in the HoF despite not winning a Super Bowl either.


https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... career.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... career.htm


Countering the argument "but but... they played in the new era" the passing era started in the late 1970s and took off in the 1980s and hasn't really changed since. Run/pass splits of playoff teams have been the same since.

While arguably pass rules have gotten friendlier for receivers since the 80s and 90s, that effect has probably been nullified by the outlawing of cut / chop blocks and crack-back blocks, making the offensive line job harder.
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 4814
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009
Sand$: 8,429.12
SJSwarm wrote:HOF? 17 seasons, only 7 playoff appearances, no Super Bowl appearance, and barely over a 2:1 TD to INT ratio?

Nah.


I'm a huge Rivers fan and can see strong arguments either way. Frankly I have no idea if what he did was enough but I'll bet if he does get in it'll be because of intangibles.

Though, he was very effective for many years, even when he was surrounded by mediocrity.. The team wasted several of his good years but he's not the only one to fall victim to poor management and coaching decisions
_______________________________________

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
William G. McAdoo
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 33647
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004
Sand$: 27,438.72
Until 2x Super Bowl champion Jim Plunkett gets in, I don’t want to hear about intangibles lol
_______________________________________

#FIREGRUDEN
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 4814
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009
Sand$: 8,429.12
SJSwarm wrote:Until 2x Super Bowl champion Jim Plunkett gets in, I don’t want to hear about intangibles lol


Plunkett is in the same category as Eli IMO.. Should get in eventually
_______________________________________

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
William G. McAdoo
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 30456
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008
Sand$: 75,269.00
I’m not sure I make that comparison.
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 73535
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004
Sand$: 318,660.23
I don’t think Eli was all that. He won two super bowls both on miracle plays at the end but against the pats and one of th the unbeaten team. But he also played a real good Super Bowl and overall Playoffs in both seasons but other than that he couldn’t even get into the playoffs. You could say the same about Marino but Elias a ton of mistakes.

He’ll probably get in the hall but I don’t really think he was all that. His brother was much better.
_______________________________________

Image Image

Image
Great White Shark
Posts: 5222
Joined: Thu Sep 7, 2017
Sand$: 13,105.72
jnadke wrote:
rugger48 wrote:He’s 5th tds and yardage. Look I get it , but in no world is that not hof wothy. The 4 guys ahead of him are first ballot guys or will be. No he doesn’t deserve first ballot, but he deserves to be in easy.


Cementing your argument, Philip Rivers beat out Dan Marino (61,000 and 420 pass TDs) in those stats.

And Dan Marino is in the HoF despite not winning a Super Bowl either.


https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... career.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... career.htm


Countering the argument "but but... they played in the new era" the passing era started in the late 1970s and took off in the 1980s and hasn't really changed since. Run/pass splits of playoff teams have been the same since.

While arguably pass rules have gotten friendlier for receivers since the 80s and 90s, that effect has probably been nullified by the outlawing of cut / chop blocks and crack-back blocks, making the offensive line job harder.


Volume stats are meaningless.

Anyone who watched Marino in his prime knows that he was one of the best QBs ever to play the game.

Anyone who watched Rivers in his prime knows that he was a very good QB in an era where there were lots of very good QBs who put up lots of volume stats because, yes, the eras were different.

The rules were different, vastly different in terms of what defenses were allowed to do to offenses.

Also, Marino did play in a super bowl even if he didn't win it. Rivers made it to one AFCCG? Not that I think those post seasons should matter that much, but they should matter somewhat. Marino also was league MVP in 84. Rivers never was, and honestly I don't know if he ever even was runner up or how many top 3s 5s 10s he has.

Era matters, you have to measure players against their contemporaries, not just how many passing yards someone like Stafford has for crap teams where he is airing it out all the time because they are losing and can't run the ball anyway.
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 19766
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007
Sand$: 125,771.29
You're going to be really mad when Stafford makes the hall of fame...
_______________________________________

Image