Phillip Rivers retires

Great White Shark
Sand$: 10,741.98
Not sure if he’s HOF material.
Agree with those above. Wouldn’t bother me either way; in or not.

What I do wish would’ve happened was Rivers signing with the Raiders as a FA before Carr was on the scene.
I really loved his fire, and would have enjoyed him being a Raider

2019 Divine Comedy Champion
Master of Snowflakes Tour
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 49,558.15
endzoneview wrote:He’s one of those guys that if he gets in, ok
If he doesn’t get in, ok

Concur.

If you match him up against another QB who is mentioned as a potential HOF'r, Eli Manning, I don't feel strongly if either gets in or not. If you compare both to a guy not in like LeRoy Kelly...neither stacks up IMO.

Over the course of ten seasons, Kelly had 7,275 rushing yards and 74 touchdowns, was an NFL Champion in 1964, six-time Pro Bowler, four-time First-team All-Pro, Bert Bell Award winner, two-time league rushing yards leader, three-time league rushing touchdowns leader, and NFL 1960s All-Decade Team member
Megalodon
Sand$: 45,115.47
There was nothing better than the early rivalry with Jay Cutler.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 75,269.00
Rivers gets in easy. Shouldnt be first ballot.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 27,285.98
Nope.
Never elite.
King of dumb turnovers.
Never won jack.
Hacker.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 27,438.72
rugger48 wrote:Rivers gets in easy. Shouldnt be first ballot.

In the reproduction HOF maybe. Him and Cromartie are 1st ballot there for sure.

#FIREGRUDEN
Supreme Megalodon
He’s 5th tds and yardage. Look I get it , but in no world is that not hof wothy. The 4 guys ahead of him are first ballot guys or will be. No he doesn’t deserve first ballot, but he deserves to be in easy.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 19,928.80
rugger48 wrote:He’s 5th tds and yardage. Look I get it , but in no world is that not hof wothy. The 4 guys ahead of him are first ballot guys or will be. No he doesn’t deserve first ballot, but he deserves to be in easy.

Cementing your argument, Philip Rivers beat out Dan Marino (61,000 and 420 pass TDs) in those stats.

And Dan Marino is in the HoF despite not winning a Super Bowl either.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... career.htm

Countering the argument "but but... they played in the new era" the passing era started in the late 1970s and took off in the 1980s and hasn't really changed since. Run/pass splits of playoff teams have been the same since.

While arguably pass rules have gotten friendlier for receivers since the 80s and 90s, that effect has probably been nullified by the outlawing of cut / chop blocks and crack-back blocks, making the offensive line job harder.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 8,429.12
SJSwarm wrote:HOF? 17 seasons, only 7 playoff appearances, no Super Bowl appearance, and barely over a 2:1 TD to INT ratio?

Nah.

I'm a huge Rivers fan and can see strong arguments either way. Frankly I have no idea if what he did was enough but I'll bet if he does get in it'll be because of intangibles.

Though, he was very effective for many years, even when he was surrounded by mediocrity.. The team wasted several of his good years but he's not the only one to fall victim to poor management and coaching decisions

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
William G. McAdoo
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 27,438.72
Until 2x Super Bowl champion Jim Plunkett gets in, I don’t want to hear about intangibles lol

#FIREGRUDEN
Great White Shark
Sand$: 8,429.12
SJSwarm wrote:Until 2x Super Bowl champion Jim Plunkett gets in, I don’t want to hear about intangibles lol

Plunkett is in the same category as Eli IMO.. Should get in eventually

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
William G. McAdoo
Supreme Megalodon
I’m not sure I make that comparison.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 318,660.23
I don’t think Eli was all that. He won two super bowls both on miracle plays at the end but against the pats and one of th the unbeaten team. But he also played a real good Super Bowl and overall Playoffs in both seasons but other than that he couldn’t even get into the playoffs. You could say the same about Marino but Elias a ton of mistakes.

He’ll probably get in the hall but I don’t really think he was all that. His brother was much better.

Image Image

Great White Shark
Sand$: 13,105.72
jnadke wrote:
rugger48 wrote:He’s 5th tds and yardage. Look I get it , but in no world is that not hof wothy. The 4 guys ahead of him are first ballot guys or will be. No he doesn’t deserve first ballot, but he deserves to be in easy.

Cementing your argument, Philip Rivers beat out Dan Marino (61,000 and 420 pass TDs) in those stats.

And Dan Marino is in the HoF despite not winning a Super Bowl either.

Countering the argument "but but... they played in the new era" the passing era started in the late 1970s and took off in the 1980s and hasn't really changed since. Run/pass splits of playoff teams have been the same since.

While arguably pass rules have gotten friendlier for receivers since the 80s and 90s, that effect has probably been nullified by the outlawing of cut / chop blocks and crack-back blocks, making the offensive line job harder.

Volume stats are meaningless.

Anyone who watched Marino in his prime knows that he was one of the best QBs ever to play the game.

Anyone who watched Rivers in his prime knows that he was a very good QB in an era where there were lots of very good QBs who put up lots of volume stats because, yes, the eras were different.

The rules were different, vastly different in terms of what defenses were allowed to do to offenses.

Also, Marino did play in a super bowl even if he didn't win it. Rivers made it to one AFCCG? Not that I think those post seasons should matter that much, but they should matter somewhat. Marino also was league MVP in 84. Rivers never was, and honestly I don't know if he ever even was runner up or how many top 3s 5s 10s he has.

Era matters, you have to measure players against their contemporaries, not just how many passing yards someone like Stafford has for crap teams where he is airing it out all the time because they are losing and can't run the ball anyway.
Megalodon
Sand$: 125,771.29
You're going to be really mad when Stafford makes the hall of fame...