Deshaun Watson Watch

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 75,024.52
kckid wrote:Watson is staying where he is.

Doubt it
Great White Shark
Sand$: 21,836.68
Rotoworld wrote:Texans hired Ravens passing game coordinator David Culley to be their head coach.

Houston Chronicle's John McClain had it first. Culley's hiring comes out of nowhere. The 65-year-old assistant has been in the NFL since 1994, yet has never called plays. His tenure as a positional coach includes being the WR coach for a Chiefs offense that scored zero WR touchdowns, being the QB coach for Josh Allen's 10/12 TD/INT rookie season, and being the passing-game coordinator of the Ravens most recently. That plays into why Culley has never interviewed for a head coaching job outside of this one time in Houston. The attention immediately turns to how Deshaun Watson views Culley, who becomes the second minority coach to be hired this cycle. Watson wanted Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy to be considered, but he never seemed to be a serious candidate to Jack Easterby, GM Nick Caserio, and Cal McNair. Houston remains the epicenter of NFL drama heading into the offseason. Culley will have his hands full right away with the media, with his franchise quarterback, and with filling out a coaching staff. He's a respected leader within NFL circles, so perhaps he has success in a CEO-like role. Not every head coach needs to be the next offensive genius after all.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 22,941.12
So... is this a better or worse hire than Josh McCown?

Some zig when others zag. I zug.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 122,000.72
zuggyawesome wrote:So... is this a better or worse hire than Josh McCown?

If the bar is being set at McCown then of course it's better. This guy has > a day of experience coaching. That isn't the bar though.
Great White Shark

Oh don't you worry, the Texans are looking at McCown too...
Rotoworld wrote:NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Texans are "targeting" Josh McCown and Lovie Smith as assistants.

The Texans were shredded for giving McCown a head-coaching interview over more qualified candidates, but all signs point to the former quarterback as being a future NFL coach. Being hired as a QBs coach or passing-game coordinator would be a reasonable start. Smith would bring a lot of experience to first-time head coach David Culley, and he's available after being fired by Illinois last December. The Texans have their offensive coordinator in Tim Kelley.
Sand$: 41,474.99
no one seems to have anything bad to say about the guy but this looks like someone the front office picked so they can control every aspect of the team. They went full Bruce Allen.

This is now the Houston Football Team.
Great White Shark
endzoneview wrote:no one seems to have anything bad to say about the guy but this looks like someone the front office picked so they can control every aspect of the team. They went full Bruce Allen.

This is now the Houston Football Team.

They can have the name. I'm advocating Washington change their name to "Division Champs" just for the 2021 season. That would be an epic Snyder troll-job on the NFC East. :twisted:
The fact that you get pleasure from citing an "epic Synder troll job" makes me sad. :lol:
Supreme Megalodon
mikeraphon wrote:

Oh don't you worry, the Texans are looking at McCown too...
Rotoworld wrote:NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Texans are "targeting" Josh McCown and Lovie Smith as assistants.

The Texans were shredded for giving McCown a head-coaching interview over more qualified candidates, but all signs point to the former quarterback as being a future NFL coach. Being hired as a QBs coach or passing-game coordinator would be a reasonable start. Smith would bring a lot of experience to first-time head coach David Culley, and he's available after being fired by Illinois last December. The Texans have their offensive coordinator in Tim Kelley.

Adding McCown as an assistant makes a ton of sense for any team that can get him.
x2

I love McCown as an assistant. Not a head coach. Not yet. I think he can/will be a good head coach one day though.
Great White Shark
endzoneview wrote:The fact that you get pleasure from citing an "epic Synder troll job" makes me sad. :lol:

I don't like our owner, but I really don't like our division rivals! :P
mikeraphon wrote:
endzoneview wrote:The fact that you get pleasure from citing an "epic Synder troll job" makes me sad. :lol:

I don't like our owner, but I really don't like our division rivals! :P

samesies
Megalodon
Sand$: 25,151.44
Watson asking for a trade does not assure the Texans will trade him, but nobody wants a disgruntled "leader" on the roster. Biggest problem I see is finding a team with the draft capital necessary to make this work.

In remembrance of Walter, D-Day veteran and my friend. Never forget.
Supreme Megalodon
bluemist wrote:Watson asking for a trade does not assure the Texans will trade him, but nobody wants a disgruntled "leader" on the roster. Biggest problem I see is finding a team with the draft capital necessary to make this work.

That's only a consideration if Houston is willing to take Watson hostage.