Great White Shark
Sand$: 46,515.68
small rebuild coming for the steelers
Megalodon
Sand$: 25,292.02
Keeping Ben around only delays that process, IMO. Steelers need to address the O-line and CB as well, but it all starts at QB.

In remembrance of Walter, D-Day veteran and my friend. Never forget.
Great White Shark
bluemist wrote:Keeping Ben around only delays that process, IMO. Steelers need to address the O-line and CB as well, but it all starts at QB.

agree,steelers with big ben,crappy oline,crappy running game = bad team
Sand$: 42,202.29
Steelers President Art Rooney announced Ben Roethlisberger will return for the 2021 season.
“Ben and I met yesterday morning and we had a productive meeting,” Rooney said. “We were able to discuss a lot of things that relate to where we are and where we want to go. Ben assured me that he is committed to coming back to help us win, and I told Ben that we would like to have him back to help us win a championship. We both understand the next step is to work out Ben’s contract situation.” This was expected, though the sides still need to restructure the $41.2 million Roethlisberger is owed. The Steelers will likely convert most of Roethlisberger's 2021 salary into a signing bonus and add dummy years to spread out the cap hit.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 13,105.72
So unless the Steelers defense is going to play at an historic level can we pencil the Steelers in for 9-12 wins and a 1st round exit from the playoffs again?
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 27,438.72
As someone who hates the Steelers with a passion, this news pleases me greatly.

I hope the rapist plays 5 more years.

#FIREGRUDEN
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 49,558.15
ubertaco wrote:So unless the Steelers defense is going to play at an historic level can we pencil the Steelers in for 9-12 wins and a 1st round exit from the playoffs again?

Pretty much although I'd put the win total more in the 8 to 10 range. They'll have a rough schedule this year after winning the division in 2020 and are looking up at both BAL and CLE talent wise within their division.

I can see them devoting most of this years draft to the offense....if Najee Harris is available, take him and use a 2nd and 3rd to take advantage of a deep offensive line class and hope a quality running back and some luck in the draft makes your offensive line look better.

They'll kick the QB can down the road to 2021 continuing to look at Mason Rudolph who is probably a career backup and try to coach up Dwayne Haskins hoping the light bulb finally goes on with him because the upside talent is there.

They'll have a ton of cap space in 2022 and you cant rule them making a run at a QB if a viable option somehow ends up as a UFA even tho the current list of 2022 potentials FAs is meager. The 2022 cap situation makes it easier money wise to restructure Roethlisberger's contract now.

It's not a great situation and their defense even losing DuPree but getting Devin White back is good enough to not make them a BAD TEAM but still better than a lot of teams in the NFL.
Great White Shark
On one hand the Steelers are still in a strong position with a solid roster on both sides of the ball, but I think it's clear that Ben is no longer the difference maker he used to be. Minor upgrades (or major depending on your opinion) in the running game and across the defense (which is already very good) helps set the table if they can find the QB of the future, just doesn't appear that will be in 2021.

I'm still not convinced that Tomlin can get it done though, but we'll see if he tightens anything up in the locker room, though I don't see why anyone would expect him to since he never has. Ultimately enough talent and those little things don't matter, but they aren't there yet.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 122,405.48
ubertaco wrote:On one hand the Steelers are still in a strong position with a solid roster on both sides of the ball.

Do they really?

*They're currently $20m over the salary cap
*They have A LOT of cap space to work with in '22, so they can kick some of their current financial issues to the future
*But they have two OL starters under contract, both expire after '21 (32 yo DeCastro and 23 yo Okarafor), and the young one may not be an answer anyway
*Ebron's expensive, an affordable cap casualty should they desire, expiring after the season, and there's no one else to replace him
*WR is fine for now, but expect Washington to walk after '21 so they will be pressed with a re-sign Diontae or draft his replacement decision this time next year
*The RB's under contract are backups
*The defensive core is intact, but if their resources are devoted to the offense then the supporting cast will be gutted this time next year. Tuitt, Heyward, Watt, Bush, Minkah, and probably Edmunds is a great core. But Alex Highsmith may be the only other playable option on the rooster. Typically this is when you'd see this team attack the CB market, but they can't do that and fix the offense

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for this team not embracing a one year reset. Their core is strong and they're well coached. While this team is probably not a contender they can still cause problems every week. The '22 and '23 versions of this team are just less likely to be as strong since they'll have less resources at their disposal and holes littered throughout the rooster.
Great White Shark
I only meant for '21.

I also think Tomlin is a problem, and if their roster erodes in a way you describe it will become that much more apparent.

*edit

With the caveat of what they wind up with at QB, either for '21 or beyond. Because the version of Ben they have now cannot patch up certain holes the way he used to.
Steelers are closer to the Bengals than they are the Browns and Ravens

Cap management/finding a future QB > Tomlin
Great White Shark
i wonder how much big ben is willing to give back to the steelers to play his last season in pitt and then retire cause his cap number is almost 41 million currently
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 49,558.15
mstrbass2000 wrote:i wonder how much big ben is willing to give back to the steelers to play his last season in pitt and then retire cause his cap number is almost 41 million currently

He may be willing to take a cut but I'd bet at the end of the day, he won't have to.

PIT will restructure the $19M in total cash out they were set to pay him for 2021 into different segments and years that allow him to get the $19M in cash and allow them to spread the previous contracts 2021 $41m cap hit over at least 2 years.
Curious, but would Roethlisberger have any suitors if he was available?
Great White Shark
endzoneview wrote:Curious, but would Roethlisberger have any suitors if he was available?

I'm sure some teams would kick the tires, but I don't know that any of them would do it for anything other than a veteran minimum kind of one year trial.

Bears would take a flier right?

Hell Patriots could convince themselves to take a flier.

Not sure Ben would have any interest in going to a team that he thinks has no chance at the playoff anyway, so that would cut out a few others with unsettled QB situations.

Complete dark horse is the Saints?