New York Jets Perpetual Rebuild Thread

Megalodon
Sand$: 2,905.30
Griffimo wrote:
prplhz14 wrote:Patriots fans. Perpetually making every thread about the Pats.

I ❤ you

Hopefully perpetually.

Great White Shark
Sand$: 38,503.86
Briefly and intermittent is the definition?
Megalodon
Sand$: 2,905.30
Griffimo wrote:Briefly and intermittent is the definition?

Sounds like my love life.

Great White Shark
Ba dum tish
Sand$: 42,224.11
jesteva wrote:What's crazy is this thread is a little over 2 years old and is 83 pages long. :lol:

Hello, we must not have met yet. I’m endzoneview and I bump this thread at the mere mention of any Jets related news.

You’re welcome
Also, I don’t know anyone who’s thinks the Jets will trade for Watson besides people that work for ESPN.

I only wanted it if it would happen at a discount so it ain’t happening.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 49,567.63
endzoneview wrote:Also, I don’t know anyone who’s thinks the Jets will trade for Watson besides people that work for ESPN.

I only wanted it if it would happen at a discount so it ain’t happening.

I think there's a few folks on NFL Network radio that drank the Watson trade is inevitable Kool aid too...but your overarching point is spot on.
Jets released DL Henry Anderson.
The move clears $8.2 million in cap space for the Jets who already had the most money to spend in the NFL. Anderson had an 8.0-sack season in his first year with the Jets (2018) but has had two-straight down years, combining for just three sacks and 10 quarterback hits over that stretch. The 29-year-old projects as a depth option, specifically as a 3-4 defensive end, while heading out of the prime of his career. Anderson was the Colts' third-round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft.

Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 49,567.63
endzoneview wrote: Jets released DL Henry Anderson.
The move clears $8.2 million in cap space for the Jets who already had the most money to spend in the NFL. Anderson had an 8.0-sack season in his first year with the Jets (2018) but has had two-straight down years, combining for just three sacks and 10 quarterback hits over that stretch. The 29-year-old projects as a depth option, specifically as a 3-4 defensive end, while heading out of the prime of his career. Anderson was the Colts' third-round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft.

If you were a Dolphin fan and they released a similar player, you'd probably think they were clearing cap space to for D Watson. :wink:
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 75,277.62
From my understanding , the jets haven’t tried very hard to resign Maye either. I mean I don’t think they are going to get watsonnif they try, but they seem like they are up to something.
Nah, this was an expected move. He hasn’t been effective, cost too much and the Jets are going to a 4-3 base. They already had more than enough cap space.
Great White Shark
Does Hewitt end up back here? Is a restricted fa?
unrestricted

I'm not sure. I want to say yes. Not sure if he's versatile enough.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 13,150.76
If you're in on the perpetual rebuild then do you actually want to get good players?

Eventually right? But that requires an actual GM with an actual direction and the authority to actualize it.

The more I think about this the more it becomes clear that the only thing which actually matters is having strong ownership with a strong front office.

If you don't have either or those (or likely both) then acquiring talent is completely meaningless because the organization will have no idea what to do with it.

I've been thinking about this more for NBA though, but NBA is drastically different because having one or two super stars can simply make a team competitive by itself (though not long term without a solid supporting cast). Still, for NFL franchises, it's not enough to just 'acquire talent', gotta clean up the organizational issues first.

Not saying the JETS should be trying to get bad players, but I see no reason to be excited when they actually get good ones.
well, yeah. That's why I've been bemoaning the structure the Jets have had in place since Tanny/Rex. Say what you will about those two, they were at least on the same page. Since then, it's been a steady overlap of GM's being forced on coaches and coaches being forced on GM's.

This is the first time I can remember that a GM has total control and the coach will report to him and not to the owner.

Hiring Gase, then firing Macgannan, then hiring Douglas was a wasted year. Then this dumb team finished strong enough that it had to give Gase another go round so two wasted years.

With that said, I have admitted this is my last GM. If Douglas can't build a playoff team or they fire him before he can, I'm done with this franchise. Old Jets would have been forced to trade away the future for Watson decreed by Woody. So progress?