Deshaun Watson Watch

Sand$: 42,195.13

:lol:
seems like the Texans plan is to just hope it all goes away

Deshaun is going to have to go full Terrell Owens mode pretty soon. Which, if he does, hurts the return the Texans can get. I don't know if he has it in him to do that but if the Texans keep playing games, he might have to.

I cannot believe how inept this franchise is.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 23,131.70
endzoneview wrote:seems like the Texans plan is to just hope it all goes away

Deshaun is going to have to go full Terrell Owens mode pretty soon. Which, if he does, hurts the return the Texans can get. I don't know if he has it in him to do that but if the Texans keep playing games, he might have to.

Carson Palmer holdout in CIN is probably a better parallel.

Some zig when others zag. I zug.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 75,254.50
The problem for the Texans is Watson has actually made some money before it got to this point. He can sit back and wait, just depends if the Texans start looking for sone of his new contract money, then I’m not sure what he does.
zuggyawesome wrote:
endzoneview wrote:seems like the Texans plan is to just hope it all goes away

Carson Palmer holdout in CIN is probably a better parallel.

didn't that take a long time?

Or did that all happen in one off-season?

Can't remember.
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports "no one believes" Deshaun Watson will be traded.
That's via sources "knee deep" in the situation. Rapsheet appears to be referring to teams that might be interested in acquiring the elite young quarterback. Rapoport also reports the Texans do not view either the start of free agency or the draft as "any sort of deadline." Rapsheet believes the drama will last for a "very, very long time." That is consistent with the established facts, as each side continues to dig in, both out in the open and via leaks.

Texans counter punch

Watson’s turn again
HammerHead Shark
Sand$: 2,264.16
The 49ers have reached out to the Panthers about a potential trade for Teddy Bridgewater.

The Niners' interest in Bridgewater doesn't necessarily mean they're keen on replacing Jimmy Garoppolo as the team's starter. 49ers general manager John Lynch has said the team needs to upgrade its backup QBs as to avoid a lost season if or when the oft-injured Jimmy G is sidelined. Carolina is among the leaders in the Deshaun Watson sweepstakes, making Bridgewater expendable if a team has a solid offer for the veteran. There's almost no chance Bridgewater starts for Carolina in 2021.
Related:

Jimmy Garoppolo

Source: The Athletic
Mar 1, 2021, 9:57 AM ET

Menage a trois?

Blue 14 (casualty)
49ers loyalist
Megalodon
Sand$: 54,436.54
Off Constantly wrote:
The 49ers have reached out to the Panthers about a potential trade for Teddy Bridgewater.

The Niners' interest in Bridgewater doesn't necessarily mean they're keen on replacing Jimmy Garoppolo as the team's starter. 49ers general manager John Lynch has said the team needs to upgrade its backup QBs as to avoid a lost season if or when the oft-injured Jimmy G is sidelined. Carolina is among the leaders in the Deshaun Watson sweepstakes, making Bridgewater expendable if a team has a solid offer for the veteran. There's almost no chance Bridgewater starts for Carolina in 2021.
Related:

Jimmy Garoppolo

Source: The Athletic
Mar 1, 2021, 9:57 AM ET

Menage a trois?
That report/rumor makes absolutely no sense, I wonder if it's from Bridgewater's agent or the Panthers. Otherwise, it literally makes no sense.
Why would the 49ers both keep Jimmy G AND go out and trade some type of asset for Teddy Bridgewater who is also an injury risk and nothing special?
Garoppolo has cap hits of $26M this year and $27M next year. Cut this year = $2.8M dead cap, $1.4M next season. Either year's dead cap number is very manageable, obviously.
Bridgewater has a $22M cap hit this year, $26M next year. Cut next year = $5M dead cap

So, the 49ers would give up some type of trade/draft capital... for what? $46M tied up into two mediocre QB's, both of whom have their own injury concerns. Or, why would you trade for Bridgewater and then cut Garoppolo?
None of these situations make any sense for the 49ers.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 122,389.06
If Teddy's traded the bonus doesn't follow him, so SF could cut him in 22 without penalty. His sticker price would be $18 this year and $21 next. But I don't think he would be acquired to backup Jimmy G - he'd be acquired to backup/bridge to a rookie. This reads like an if-then hypothetical. An if we are able to move Jimmy then move up far enough to draft a rookie then we'll trade for Teddy sorta thing.
Megalodon
Sand$: 54,436.54
OarChambo wrote:If Teddy's traded the bonus doesn't follow him, so SF could cut him in 22 without penalty. His sticker price would be $18 this year and $21 next. But I don't think he would be acquired to backup Jimmy G - he'd be acquired to backup/bridge to a rookie. This reads like an if-then hypothetical. An if we are able to move Jimmy then move up far enough to draft a rookie then we'll trade for Teddy sorta thing.
With or without the bonus, Teddy's dead cap in '22 is basically negligible ($5M). The sticker price is a little less overall, but the sentiment is the same.
If your plan is just to have a bridge, why would you bring in an entirely new QB to do that? Garoppolo's contract isn't much more than Bridgewater's and I'd have to assume everyone in the organization would prefer Garoppolo over Bridgewater in a 1-for-1 comparison. Neither guy is what anyone would consider 'dependable' from a health standpoint. Neither guy's skillset or body of work is blowing either team away.
I highly doubt any teams are going to offer anything of value for Garoppolo. So, you're going to go through all of this work for, what, a 4th/5th/6th-round pick in return? That hardly seems worth it.
HammerHead Shark
my understanding is that they want a quality backup for Jimmy G in the event he gets hurt again.

unless it involves us getting picks this season to help build depth thats the only way it makes sense.

Blue 14 (casualty)
49ers loyalist
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 75,254.50
My guess is they don’t keep Jimmy. He costs 2 million in cap to cut.
I'm going to guess that the Pats are probably willing to overpay for Jimmy G and Bridgewater would be a bridge to a rookie QB.
HammerHead Shark
Dont forget Rosen

or do maybe.

Blue 14 (casualty)
49ers loyalist
Off Constantly wrote:Dont forget Rosen

or do maybe.

I did.