Falcons at 4.... for now?

Post Reply  
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 59957
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 122,136.88
sammae wrote:Could the Falcons be setting themselves up to do what Tampa did. Meaning, draft Pitts and load up on the weapons now, then bring in Rodgers once him and Green Bay are done with each other.

Had they not re-done Matt Ryan's contract, maybe. But they did, so assuming Rodgers forces his way out after this season, no. Atlanta's tied to Ryan through 22.
Great White Shark
Posts: 5277
Joined: Thu Sep 7, 2017
Sand$: 13,240.20
Also if the Falcons do not address the issues on the defensive side why would Rodgers go there over other potential destinations which have better defenses?

Saying that I'm not sure what those teams are right now. Maybe Chicago? Maybe WFT (depending on what they do in this draft)?

Hell, maybe the Patriots????

But we are a ways away from having to seriously consider those hypotheticals.
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 1903
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009
Sand$: 1,106.90
The Falcons need to trade with Denver or pick a QB at the 4 Spot

We do not need Pitts in the NFC South !

The Saints are not very good at covering good TE’s like Waller. He put up 100 yards and a TD on us and pretty much won the Game for the Raiders

If I remember right, the Saints used everybody on D to cover him at one time or another during the Game with no avail.

So Yeah, we don’t need Pitts down South
Great White Shark
Posts: 8887
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004
Sand$: 44,907.52
Striker1110 wrote:The Falcons need to trade with Denver or pick a QB at the 4 Spot

We do not need Pitts in the NFC South !


I’d be all for a divisional rival burning a top 5 pick on a TE.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 55821
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 41,829.69
Terry Fontenot: If teams call about Julio Jones, we have to listen

The Falcons could trade star receiver Julio Jones after June 1 to create much-needed cap space, Peter King wrote in this week’s Football Morning in America.

Falcons General Manager Terry Fontenot didn’t squash the report when asked about it Monday night, adding credence to the possibility.

“That’s one of those things when you’re doing things the right way as an organization, you have to listen if people call on any player,” Fontenot told Justin Felder of Fox 5 Sports. “We are in a difficult cap situation. That’s just the circumstance. It’s not a surprise for us. We knew the circumstance we were in. Our administration has done an excellent job up to this point getting us in position to be able to manage the cap. Yet, we still have more work to do. So, when teams call about any players, we have to listen, and we have to weigh it and we have to determine what’s best for the organization, and we have to handle everything with class. Obviously, that particular player we hold him in high regard. He’s special what he’s done and what he continues to do here, but we have to consider any player if it’s right for the team, because we have to do what’s right for the team.”
Great White Shark
Posts: 5277
Joined: Thu Sep 7, 2017
Sand$: 13,240.20
Hmm...

As a Julio owner in dyno I really hope they do trade him to some team with a more explosive passing game so that I can dump him on someone who buys the hype.

I love Julio and what he brought to the table, but the last few years he is constantly out or even worse, playing, but clearly injured. I'm ready to move on anyway.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 55821
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 41,829.69
Julio will be a Raider by the weekend
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 22428
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012
Sand$: 54,510.86
I wonder what the cost in terms of compensation will be considering his age, injury history and contract.
I've always been a big fan of Julio's. Wouldn't mind him in NE, but need a QB other than Cam first.
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 59957
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 122,136.88
Jcb890 wrote:I wonder what the cost in terms of compensation will be considering his age, injury history and contract.
I've always been a big fan of Julio's. Wouldn't mind him in NE, but need a QB other than Cam first.

The contract is not an issue for the buyer. For all intents and purposes Corey Davis and Curtis Samuel cost (significantly) more last month. Julio only has $2m guaranteed beyond this season as most of his money is tied into the bonus Atlanta is on the hook for regardless. It'd actually cost Atlanta more to trade him before June 1 than it would to just keep him.
User avatar
Blue Shark
Posts: 377
Joined: Sat Apr 6, 2019
Sand$: 415.78
Sure thing: Falcons take a generational talent in Kyle Pitts. Not new news, however, Ice man has a good 3 solid years left. They may give attention to a later rnd QB this year most likely as NEXT years crop is less then half as deep as this year.
_______________________________________

Image
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 33860
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004
Sand$: 26,772.76
PigskinPete22 wrote:Sure thing: Falcons take a generational talent in Kyle Pitts. Not new news, however, Ice man has a good 3 solid years left. They may give attention to a later rnd QB this year most likely as NEXT years crop is less then half as deep as this year.





Less than half is a massive understatement. There is literally one first round QB in next years crop. FYI. Perhaps others will emerge, a la Wilson this year, but as of now it is Sam Howell or nothing.

Based on Ryan's reworked deal, they are likely looking at the 2023 QB class, which will likely be lead by DJ Uiagalelei and will be far deeper overall.
_______________________________________

#FIREGRUDEN
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 55821
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 41,829.69
I'm betting Julio is going to want a new deal upon arrival to his new team which will complicate any trade scenario.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 55821
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 41,829.69
SJSwarm wrote:
PigskinPete22 wrote:Sure thing: Falcons take a generational talent in Kyle Pitts. Not new news, however, Ice man has a good 3 solid years left. They may give attention to a later rnd QB this year most likely as NEXT years crop is less then half as deep as this year.





Less than half is a massive understatement. There is literally one first round QB in next years crop. FYI. Perhaps others will emerge, a la Wilson this year, but as of now it is Sam Howell or nothing.

Based on Ryan's reworked deal, they are likely looking at the 2023 QB class, which will likely be lead by DJ Uiagalelei and will be far deeper overall.


I think the Falcons are more than ok waiting until 2023 and rolling with Ryan for the next two years.
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 59957
Joined: Fri Jul 7, 2006
Sand$: 122,136.88
endzoneview wrote:I'm betting Julio is going to want a new deal upon arrival to his new team which will complicate any trade scenario.

All while Atlanta also intends to compete this year.
User avatar
Blue Shark
Posts: 377
Joined: Sat Apr 6, 2019
Sand$: 415.78
SJSwarm wrote:
PigskinPete22 wrote:Sure thing: Falcons take a generational talent in Kyle Pitts. Not new news, however, Ice man has a good 3 solid years left. They may give attention to a later rnd QB this year most likely as NEXT years crop is less then half as deep as this year.





Less than half is a massive understatement. There is literally one first round QB in next years crop. FYI. Perhaps others will emerge, a la Wilson this year, but as of now it is Sam Howell or nothing.

Based on Ryan's reworked deal, they are likely looking at the 2023 QB class, which will likely be lead by DJ Uiagalelei and will be far deeper overall.


True..I was being generous.
_______________________________________

Image