Megalodon
Sand$: 24,444.18
Looks like about $3.5 billion, not that there is much difference at that level

Pretty sure a guy like him is never told what he cannot do, so him having to step away is at least a little humiliating for this arrogant bastich.

In remembrance of Walter, D-Day veteran and my friend. Never forget.
Sand$: 32,620.71
team president Jason Wright wrote:

"I am personally and deeply grateful for the Native American community leaders who engaged with us, sharing painful, raw and real stories that persist to this day. Their stories affirmed our decision to move in a new direction in the creation of our new name and identity, and we are proudly forging ahead in this journey with a promise to our community -- a promise to continue to be inclusive in our process and collaborative with our fans.

"One might look at (the Warriors) as a natural, and even harmless transition considering that it does not necessarily or specifically carry a negative connotation. But as we learned through our research and engagement with various groups, 'context matters' and that makes it a 'slippery slope.

"Feedback from across communities we engaged clearly revealed deep-seated discomfort around Warriors, with the clear acknowledgment that it too closely aligns with Native American themes. Such an embrace of potentially Native-adjacent iconography and imagery would not represent a clear departure that many communities have so forcefully advocated for us to embrace, and that frankly, we set out to do when we started this process a year ago."

"We have 89 years of history in this league and failing to acknowledge our past use of Native imagery in the consideration of the new name wouldn't be mindful of the individuals and communities that were hurt by the previous name. We've made significant changes in our organization and our culture, and our new name must reflect these changes. To that end, we will choose an identity that unequivocally departs from any use of or approximate linkage to Native American imagery," Wright wrote.

=D>
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 101,973.07
For the love of all that is holy just keep the team name as is and move forward

PS: Danny boys wife is not really an upgrade

Pps: this team is definitely the NFC Least favorite right? I have no faith but they got to be

Cant' just stick with Washington Football Team. They need a team name and a logo to move merchandise.

And yes, they are the favorite for the division (although when was the last time there was a repeat champ in the East?)

And don't tell anyone, but I think they have a shot to win a game or two in the playoffs.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 13,779.50
So...

Is it simply not possible to take a name/icon which honors Native Americans then?

I can recognize that due to context it may not be possible for Washington to do so, but what about a new team without any baggage?

I mean it's weird to me that the Chiefs never get any flak for anything, so it is possible. Hell even the Indians seems begin enough, though not the chief waahoo iconography. The Braves? The issue there was the tomohawk chop?

Plenty of others in the NCAA, but what is the line and who decides?

I mean, the line is the term Redskin, Chief Wahoo and the tomahawk chop.

Basically anything that provides a negative connotation towards Native Americans is the line.
Whale Shark
Sand$: 1,607.80
team president Jason Wright wrote:

... we will choose an identity that unequivocally departs from any use of or approximate linkage to Native American imagery.

He drew his own line.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 13,779.50
endzoneview wrote:Image

I mean, the line is the term Redskin, Chief Wahoo and the tomahawk chop.

Basically anything that provides a negative connotation towards Native Americans is the line.

:roll:

You're missing the point. Are you not aware of other calls to change the names of other teams with less 'offensive' names?

Who decides? Who should decide? Does a free market approach work here? Should it?

I don't know the answers to these questions because they are not obvious to me. If they are obvious to you, great I guess you don't have to think about it.
Supreme Megalodon
Sand$: 101,973.07
I think the idea that you need a logo to move merchandise is completely flawed.

This is the way it works in soccer and WFT has fumbled into a ahead of the curve win with current name

Boogs34 wrote:I think the idea that you need a logo to move merchandise is completely flawed.

This is the way it works in soccer and WFT has fumbled into a ahead of the curve win with current name

I think you need one from a branding perspective but perhaps over time you won't. Especially if you start winning.