User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 21710
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012
Sand$: 52,999.74
Finally saw Joker last night.

Wow, I thought Joaquin Phoenix did a great job acting that role! I thought the movie was very solid overall and I liked how dark/crazy they made it.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 52148
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 40,420.97
yep, I thought it was remarkable where he took that character at the end the movie and how it blends seamlessly to Heath Leger's version in Dark Knight.

A rare film and performance that lived up to the hype.
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 21710
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012
Sand$: 52,999.74
endzoneview wrote:yep, I thought it was remarkable where he took that character at the end the movie and how it blends seamlessly to Heath Leger's version in Dark Knight.

A rare film and performance that lived up to the hype.
It was also great how they didn't beat you over the head with some of the 'ah ha' moments like movies tend to do. I really liked how subtle it was to the viewer realizing the actual reality of his 'relationship' with his neighbor.

I just googled it, very surprised to see the ratings:
Rotten Tomatoes - 68% (88% audience score though)
Metacritic - 59%
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 63511
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009
Sand$: 34,910.40
Jcb890 wrote:
endzoneview wrote:yep, I thought it was remarkable where he took that character at the end the movie and how it blends seamlessly to Heath Leger's version in Dark Knight.

A rare film and performance that lived up to the hype.
It was also great how they didn't beat you over the head with some of the 'ah ha' moments like movies tend to do. I really liked how subtle it was to the viewer realizing the actual reality of his 'relationship' with his neighbor.

I just googled it, very surprised to see the ratings:
Rotten Tomatoes - 68% (88% audience score though)
Metacritic - 59%

I didn't find this movie subtle at all. Outside of Phoenix' performance, I found the whole thing a mediocre rip off of Taxi Driver, which I also find mediocre.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 52148
Joined: Sun Aug 2, 2009
Sand$: 40,420.97
agree on it not being subtle

I understand the Taxi Driver comparison but I think Phoenix's performance trumped that.
User avatar
Supreme Megalodon
Posts: 63511
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009
Sand$: 34,910.40
endzoneview wrote:agree on it not being subtle

I understand the Taxi Driver comparison but I think Phoenix's performance trumped that.

His performance is sublime.
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 20229
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004
Sand$: 11,924.73
Saw Amazon's'The Vast of Night'(by 1st time director Andrew Patterson) the other night, loved it.really felt reminiscent of Spielberg's earlier work (E.T, 'Close encounters of the third kind').but with 'Sorkin' like quick dialog (which might not be for everyone).
_______________________________________

Twitter :@Adenchiz
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 21710
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012
Sand$: 52,999.74
Elmagister wrote:
Jcb890 wrote:
endzoneview wrote:yep, I thought it was remarkable where he took that character at the end the movie and how it blends seamlessly to Heath Leger's version in Dark Knight.

A rare film and performance that lived up to the hype.
It was also great how they didn't beat you over the head with some of the 'ah ha' moments like movies tend to do. I really liked how subtle it was to the viewer realizing the actual reality of his 'relationship' with his neighbor.

I just googled it, very surprised to see the ratings:
Rotten Tomatoes - 68% (88% audience score though)
Metacritic - 59%

I didn't find this movie subtle at all. Outside of Phoenix' performance, I found the whole thing a mediocre rip off of Taxi Driver, which I also find mediocre.

endzoneview wrote:agree on it not being subtle

I understand the Taxi Driver comparison but I think Phoenix's performance trumped that.

I didn't think the movie was subtle overall, but I thought the scene where he realizes the 'relationship' with the neighbor is and I enjoyed that.
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 21710
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012
Sand$: 52,999.74
X-Men: Dark Phoenix - Not very good. Though, they did do a great job of making the Phoenix Force seem super lame, if that was their intention.
User avatar
Honorary Mod (powerless)
Posts: 31902
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005
Sand$: 3,434.08
Watched "Drive" last night. Stupidest, slowest movie ever. Lets see if we can make every scene an internal retrospective by having the character dramatically stare for 2 min.
User avatar
Great White Shark
Posts: 3439
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014
Sand$: 8,589.40
gridguru wrote:Watched "Drive" last night. Stupidest, slowest movie ever. Lets see if we can make every scene an internal retrospective by having the character dramatically stare for 2 min.


if you want a good throwback movie to watch that is much, much better than Drive:

check out Faster. Dwayne Johnson, Billy Bob Thornton, Carla Gugino. Feels like a 70s crime/car movie.
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 21710
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012
Sand$: 52,999.74
TheJayCutlers wrote:
gridguru wrote:Watched "Drive" last night. Stupidest, slowest movie ever. Lets see if we can make every scene an internal retrospective by having the character dramatically stare for 2 min.


if you want a good throwback movie to watch that is much, much better than Drive:

check out Faster. Dwayne Johnson, Billy Bob Thornton, Carla Gugino. Feels like a 70s crime/car movie.
Yeah, I thought it was terrible also. Not sure why it received such acclaim when it came out.

Kind of along the same lines/genre, Baby Driver was a fun/good movie.
User avatar
Megalodon
Posts: 21710
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012
Sand$: 52,999.74
The Last Days of American Crime: This movie was... not good. How was it 2 and a half hours long?! Save yourself the time, don't bother with this one. If done well, it might have been OK, but, terrible execution, bad acting, bad setting/locations (South Africa is supposed to be the US, but doesn't look like it or seem like much attempt to make it seem so). Michael Pitt seemed like a very odd choice for this movie as well. Though they did, of course, include everyone's favorite South African actor Sharlto Copley (District 9).