Drew Lock(ed) and Loaded

Great White Shark
Sand$: 123.70
TheJayCutlers wrote:

Here's his write up to follow up this Tweet:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/12/drew-lock-denver-broncos-franchise-qb

and ez is right, USA today has some misleading URLs.
Sand$: 42,875.55
I clicked it thinking Lock was a franchise quarterback!!!!!
Great White Shark
Sand$: 14,023.44
TheJayCutlers wrote:
TheJayCutlers wrote:

Here's his write up to follow up this Tweet:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/12/drew-lock-denver-broncos-franchise-qb

and ez is right, USA today has some misleading URLs.

Interesting link, but I find it hard to believe you could unbiasely watch these games and think he isn't getting the ball out fast enough. What has most surprised me about his play thus far is how advanced he's been mentally at the position.

I disagree with quite a few of his examples as well. In his first clip you can clearly see the RT is beat from the get go and there is a near clean rusher coming at his face. Him scrambling up into the pocket avoids him taking a whack, gives Sutton more time for his route to develop, and creates an easier throwing lane to get him the ball.

I do understand that on many of his throws Lock drifts from the pocket despite not having pressure; but that tendency is both a positive and a negative. The DEN O-line is not good, and is the major reason Flacco and Allen before him have been sacked as often as they did. If you watch the downfield throw to Tim Patrick vs HOU you can see this tendency of his to drift immediately after the snap allow him to escape a free rusher and throw the ball 40 yards down field off his back foot in between double coverage.

Lock is still a young QB, so he obviously is still making a lot of mistakes; but given how much he's already improved at this point I don't see this being anywhere near his ceiling.

Regarding Steven Ruiz and his credibility as a QB connoisseur:

"Calling [QB] a project is a major understatement. He’s nowhere near ready to play in the NFL. And, honestly, he may never be. Between his inconsistent accuracy due to poor mechanics, his tendency to bail from clean pockets and his lack of field vision, he’s going to leave as many big plays on the field as he creates. This was a risky pick."

- That was his take on Patrick Mahomes coming out of the draft. I get the feeling he's very rigid in how evaluates QB play, the dude is either Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees or he's not a QB.

Some zig when others zag. I zug.
Great White Shark
Sand$: 26,578.24
hawkdogger wrote:He sucks.
Sand$: 42,875.55
Great White Shark
Lock is really easy to root for.

He's got the fire of Mayfield without the bitterness, and (at least what comes across as) arrogance.

Great White Shark
Out goes Scangarello, in comes Shurmur.

Overall, probably a net positive given Shurmur's track record with QB production (I'm of the opinion that Scangarello was not a bad offensive mind, but he did get conservative with a lead which is not conducive to fantasy points)