Welcome to The Lowdown for Week 10. This is my little corner of the fantasy football universe — feel free to pull up a chair and stay a while!
Getting in the Spirit
Can someone explain to me what’s going on with this whole Starbucks coffee cup controversy? I didn’t see too many people complaining about it to begin with (although I’m sure there were a few put-upon religious zealots who complained). But there’s no stopping the social media avalanche now that it’s begun.
Did it ever strike the hipsters and social justice warriors that they are paying crazy money to suck down the elixir produced from beans forcibly grown on a barren continent?
Lost in all this nonsense is how absolutely crappy Starbucks coffee is; but what do you expect of coffee made from African beans? Take my word for it, stick to coffee made from 100% Colombian beans, people; the resultant brew is the best in the world and you’ve never heard Juan Valdez complain about squat.
I’m watching the Bills-Jets game as I write this drivel, and I must say I am impressed. I didn’t think the NFL could make a bad idea any worse than it already is– but lo and behold, they made Thursday Night Football worse.
I am speaking about the horrible “Color” uniforms on display– bright green (Jets) and red (Bills). I’m convinced that the sight of the two teams running up and down the field caused at least a dozen seizures… not to mention that part of the viewing audience who has red-green color blindness. To them, both teams appeared to be wearing the same shade of gray, blending after each snap into an indistinguishable pile of bodies. But on the bright side, there’s a whole new line of jerseys to be sold, so there’s that.
Well done, NFL, well done.
Interesting Players for Week 10
If you’re interested, here is the list of the top 10 at each offensive position (along with a relative value) for this weekend’s games. Use it to gauge how two players compare. For example, if Tom Brady has an FFRS of 44 this week and Derek Carr has a 33, then you should think of Brady as being a 33% stronger play than Carr this week. Use these FFRS for standard fantasy leagues for waivers or lineup decisions; in DFS leagues use the relative nature of the FFRS to gauge dollar values between players.
Good luck! (PPR scoring is used for the FFRS rankings below)
Top 10 QB Plays:
- Tom Brady, NEP (vs. NYG) – 24.77
- Cam Newton, CAR (vs. Ten) – 21.46
- Aaron Rodgers, GBP (vs. Det) – 21.17
- Drew Brees, NOS (vs. WAS) – 21.00
- Andy Dalton, CIN (vs. Hou) – 20.54
- Blake Bortles, JAC (vs. Bal) – 20.08
- Carson Palmer, ARI (vs. Sea) – 19.32
- Marcus Mariota, TEN (vs. Car) – 18.91
- Derek Carr, OAK (vs. Min) – 18.52
- Eli Manning, NYG (vs. NEP) – 18.36
Eli Manning has been having a pretty consistent, low-end QB1 season thus far, due mainly to his avoiding the costly interceptions that have plagued him throughout his career– what’s that, a 96.9 QB rating? Amazing. Last year, I told anyone who would listen (and some who wouldn’t) that I thought Blake Bortles has “It,” that certain intangible quality that all great QBs have; I’m glad to see that Bortles’ play has improved to be QB1 quality in his sophomore season. This preseason, I had that same feeling about Marcus Mariota and so far, the kid has been meeting expectations– love the way he plays the position.
Top 10 RB Plays:
- Mark Ingram, NOS (vs. WAS) – 19.14
- Doug Martin, TBB (vs. Dal) – 18.88
- Adrian Peterson, MIN (vs. Oak) – 18.67
- Todd Gurley, STL (vs. Chi) – 18.61
- DeMarco Murray, PHI (vs. Mia) – 18.22
- Lamar Miller, MIA (vs. Phi) – 17.48
- Justin Forsett, BAL (vs. JAC) – 17.24
- LeGarrette Blount, NEP (vs. NYG) – 15.98
- T.J. Yeldon, JAC (vs. Bal) – 15.30
- Darren McFadden, DAL (vs. TBB) – 14.57
We have a Darren McFadden sighting… Yeldon has been having a solid, if unspectacular, rookie campaign; he’s gotten lost in all the Todd Gurley hoopla (rightfully so), but the kid is going to be a good player for a long time in that Jags offense.
Top 10 WR Plays:
- DeAndre Hopkins, HOU (vs. Cin) – 25.40
- Antonio Brown, PIT (vs. Cle) – 25.37
- Allen Robinson, JAC (vs. Bal) – 25.25
- Demaryius Thomas, DEN (vs. KCC) – 25.01
- Odell Beckham, NYG (vs. NEP) – 24.49
- Jarvis Landry, MIA (vs. Phi) – 23.67
- Stefon Diggs, MIN (vs. Oak) – 23.33
- A.J. Green, CIN (vs. Hou) – 21.17
- Randall Cobb, GBP (vs. Det) – 20.92
- Travis Benjamin, CLE (vs. Pit) – 20.63
Look who’s climbing back into relevance this week? Why it’s none other then Randall Cobb, who has been persona non grata in the WR rankings thus far in the season. The Packers need a big win to get back some of their lost swagger, and with their running game in a bit of flux, look for Rodgers to sling the ball to Cobb & Co. against the NFC North rival Lions… Remember when Dan Marino had his “Marks Brothers,” Mark Duper and Mark Clayton? It looks like Blake Bortles will have his own siblings hauling in the pigskin: Allen Hurns and Allen Robinson. These guys’ performance this season really is twin-like: Robinson (40-707-6, 17.7 YPC) and Hurns (36-635-6, 17.6 YPC) have produced nearly identical stats. Now all I have to do is come up with a cool nickname for them… the Wrenches? Living here in Allentown? Does anyone know if “AA” is being used?
Top 10 TE Plays:
- Rob Gronkowski, NEP (vs. NYG) – 18.98
- Jordan Reed, WAS (vs. NOS) – 17.03
- Gary Barnidge, CLE (vs. Pit) – 15.69
- Greg Olsen, CAR (vs. Ten) – 15.30
- Tyler Eifert, CIN (vs. Hou) – 15.29
- Delanie Walker, TEN (vs. Car) – 14.41
- Travis Kelce, KCC (vs. Den) – 12.58
- Eric Ebron, DET (vs. GBP) – 12.42
- Martellus Bennett, CHI (vs. StL) – 12.28
- Jason Witten, DAL (vs. TBB) – 12.21
The names on the TE list should all be familiar at this point in the season, but if you’re looking for a bye week fill-in, see if Eric Ebron is available. Seems like Mighty Max likes the kid’s chances against a struggling Packers defense this week.