Welcome to The Lowdown for Week 4. This is my little corner of the fantasy football universe — feel free to pull up a chair and stay a while!
Strong but Silent Type
I was born in an era when men were not allowed to cry. I was also raised by a father whose moral compass was set by John Wayne, which means men never cried and walked with a lumbering gait.
But even though I’m from that bygone era, even I felt close to crying after the first three weeks of the current NFL season. The first two weeks of the season had me scraping the bottom of the waiver wire for the likes of Shane Vereen, who was having a decent game against the Redskins when– you guessed it– he got hurt. So this week I was lucky to grab Orleans Darkwa off the wire for my RB2 spot. Yes, you read that correctly.
On the heels of WR Keenan Allen and RB Danny Woodhead on offense and J.J. Watt on defense, it wouldn’t take much to push me over the edge… thankfully, I had the distraction of the first Presidential Debate to distract me with a spirited debate similar to Lincoln-Douglas, where the major issues of the day are discussed by the two best orators in the country, each using logic and influence to convince the American people to vote for the…
No Duke, I’m not crying… it’s just allergies.
Interesting Players for Week
Not necessarily the players in line for the biggest games this week, but rather some players that caught my interest and upon whom I shall cast my gaze…
Kirk Cousins may be causing Jay Gruden to have a nervous breakdown with his crappy red zone play, but the Washington signal-caller is still producing at a low-end QB1 level. This week’s game against an inexperienced Browns’ secondary bodes well for his performance this week.
- Cam Newton, CAR (vs. Atl) – 49.33
- Drew Brees, NOS (vs. SDC) – 48.17
- Andrew Luck, IND (vs. Jac) – 42.31
- Matthew Stafford, DET (vs. Chi) – 40.84
- Matt Ryan, ATL (vs. Car) – 38.55
- Joe Flacco, BAL (vs. Oak) – 38.51
- Kirk Cousins, WAS (vs. Cle) – 38.10
- Eli Manning, NYG (vs. Min) – 36.67
- Jameis Winston, TBB (vs. Den) – 36.53
- Trevor Siemian, DEN (vs. TBB) – 35.93
One runner I’ve always loved to watch play the game is LeGarrette Blount. I think he runs hard and with anger, and at his size, that’s the way you’re supposed to run the ball. I’m happy to see Blount get more touches per game, and he’s a good bet for continued fantasy success this week. A lot of owners took a pass on Isaiah Crowell simply because he plays for the team from Cleveland, but he’s producing solid numbers; however, if you look closely, his production has been highly inconsistent. Will this be one of his better weeks?
- Melvin Gordon, SDC (vs. NOS) – 58.99
- David Johnson, ARI (vs. LA) – 47.57
- Isaiah Crowell, CLE (vs. WAS) – 47.25
- J. Anderson, DEN (vs. TBB) – 44.87
- Mark Ingram, NOS (vs. SDC) – 44.13
- DeMarco Murray, TEN (vs. Hou) – 42.98
- LeGarrette Blount, NEP (vs. Buf) – 42.75
- Theo Riddick, DET (vs. Chi) – 41.52
- LeSean McCoy, BUF (vs. NEP) – 40.52
- Carlos Hyde, SFO (vs. Dal) – 37.33
Travis Benjamin was poised for a breakout campaign in San Diego this season, but the Chargers’ bad luck re: injuries has thrust the young man into the prominent focus Chargers’ opponents. How good is Kelvin Benjamin? Kinda good: Benjamin took a goose egg in last week’s game and still ranks among the top 20 receivers.
- Julian Edelman, NEP (vs. Buf) – 61.26
- Doug Baldwin, SEA (vs. NYJ) – 58.98
- Stefon Diggs, MIN (vs. NYG) – 58.29
- Steve Smith, BAL (vs. Oak) – 57.73
- T.Y. Hilton, IND (vs. JAC) – 57.63
- Demaryius Thomas, DEN (vs. TBB) – 57.56
- Larry Fitzgerald, ARI (vs. RAM) – 57.11
- Travis Benjamin, SDC (vs. NOS) – 56.83
- Kelvin Benjamin, CAR (vs. Atl) – 56.64
- Antonio Brown, PIT (vs. KCC) – 55.47
- Greg Olsen, CAR (vs. Atl) – 39.67
- Zach Miller, CHI (vs. Det) – 36.31
- Coby Fleener, NOS (vs. SDC) – 29.32
- Jordan Reed, WAS (vs. Cle) – 27.38
- Jacob Tamme, ATL (vs. Car) – 27.29
- Travis Kelce, KCC (vs. Pit) – 27.27
- Jason Witten, DAL (vs. SFO) – 27.09
- Dennis Pitta, BAL (vs. Oak) – 25.80
- Kyle Rudolph, MIN (vs. NYG) – 24.65
- Vance McDonald, SFO (vs. Dal) – 22.90
Here’s this week’s Consistency Rankings. If you’re interested in how they’re calculated, read my Fantasy Forecast on the subject. I’ve also included the average per game Fantasy output (PPR) so you can better decide how go after on waivers or stick into your lineup… High average, but wildly inconsistent? Lower scoring but ultra-steady?
(Continue to Page 2 for complete Week 4 Consistency Rankings)