Welcome to The Lowdown for Week 8. This is my little corner of the fantasy football universe — feel free to pull up a chair and stay a while!
Flying Unfriendly Skies
I don’t know about you, but I’ve been flying a lot recently. I don’t say this as a way to brag, because I hate flying. I hate flying because (a) I loathe the idea of plummeting to my death, and (b) planes these days seem to have been designed by a descendant of Tomás de Torquemada.
Look, I know I’m not the skinniest guy in the world, but I refuse to believe that I outgrew a Delta seat belt over the course of a night. I’m not kidding here. I flew out of N.Y. last Thursday, I fit in the damn seat; I flew back the next day and I couldn’t get the seat belt anywhere near buckled. So I had to ask for one of those extenders which, let’s face it, is embarrassing. Then as soon as we’re off the ground, the air conditioning goes out– so throw in oppressive heat and stale air into the mix. Five minutes into the flight, the pilot announces that there’s rough air between K.C. and N.Y., so please keep those seat belts on! Oh, at that point I was a happy camper– because there’s nothing as comfortable for a fat @#^%$ like me than being in a sardine can at 101 degrees hurtling through extreme turbulence for a 2.5 hour flight.
Of course, after all this, I’m greeted on my way off the plane by the captain– “Did you have a pleasant flight, sir?”… it’s enough to cause a man to take his carry-on and stuff it into a no-fly zone, if you know what I mean.
Teams on Bye this week: Titans, Rams, Packers, Jaguars, Giants, Cardinals.
Interesting Players for This Week
Straight from the flawless algorithms of Mighty Max come the Top 10 at every offensive position for this weekend’s games…
1. Dak Prescott, DAL (vs. WAS) – 87.26
2. Carson Wentz, PHI (vs. SFO) – 86.44
3. Alex Smith, KCC (vs. DEN) – 82.50
4. Kirk Cousins, WAS (vs. DAL) – 79.54
5. Deshaun Watson, HOU (vs. SEA) – 79.24
6. Tom Brady, NEP (vs. LAC) – 78.26
7. Russell Wilson, SEA (vs. HOU) – 77.01
8. Drew Brees, NOS (vs. CHI) – 68.30
9. Cam Newton, CAR (vs. TBB) – 67.69
10. Philip Rivers, LAC (vs. NEP) – 66.91
Dak Prescott has been having a quietly effective season, so it’s not a surprise that he shakes out as the top QB option this week… Deshaun Watson’s outstanding rookie season runs into a test in Week 8, as he goes up against the Legion of Boom. I think he’ll have a solid game, but it’s also interesting that Watson’s game is similar to Russell Wilson’s, whom he’ll be facing.
1. Kareem Hunt, KCC (vs. DEN) – 77.83
2. Le’Veon Bell, PIT (vs. DET) – 76.33
3. Ezekiel Elliott, DAL (vs. WAS) – 75.29
4. LeSean McCoy, BUF (vs. OAK) – 63.80
5. Devonta Freeman, ATL (vs. NYJ) – 60.77
6. Mark Ingram, NOS (vs. CHI) – 58.18
7. Carlos Hyde, SFO (vs. PHI) – 55.81
8. Melvin Gordon, LAC (vs. NEP) – 52.42
9. Christian McCaffrey, CAR (vs. TBB) – 52.38
10. Chris Thompson, WAS (vs. DAL) – 48.77
Interesting to note that three players in the Top 10 this week are there mainly due to their effectiveness as pass-catchers out of the backfield: Carlos Hyde, Christian McCaffrey and Chris Thompson. Most people recognize McCaffrey and Thompson as being better receivers than runners, but Hyde? Hyde’s been averaging 4/24/0 receiving a game, which doesn’t sound like much until you realize that’s an extra 6.4 points a game in PPR leagues. Kareem Hunt has really been some kind of find for the Chiefs, hasn’t he? Amazing.