In a twitter request from @GrantReam, these two wide receivers are viewed as top-5 fantasy options for their position. Odell Beckham Jr. is coming off a historic rookie season and absolutely took over the fantasy world in the last few weeks of the season. Julio Jones has been a fixture at the wide receiver position since entering the league with his incredible athleticism and ability to make big plays. In the early 2nd round, whom are you taking to be your WR1?
Let’s start with some strengths and weaknesses of each player from a Fantasy standpoint:
Odell Beckham Jr. (New York Giants):
- Coming off a stellar rookie season and 1-year experience under his belt
- Had a full offseason to create more chemistry with Eli and master the offense
- Victor Cruz returns to take some defensive pressure off Beckham Jr. this season
- Defenses have seen his potential and will do a better job game planning against him
- Victor Cruz back also means loss of targets and opportunities
Julio Jones (Atlanta Falcons):
- Only reason he wasn’t a top-2 receiver last year was a lack of touchdowns. The Falcons struggled to put the ball in the end zone
- Is fully healthy heading into 2015 and there’s a rejuvenation in the franchise that could spark a better offense
- Matt Ryan’s favorite target by far and is looked to every game to help spark the offense
- We know he can put up the receptions and yards; will he score touchdowns this season?
- Will this be another injury-riddled season?
The Argument for Beckham Jr. over Jones
Did you see what he did last season? He put up insane numbers towards the end of the season. Can you imagine what he will do with a full season in 2015? Eli now trusts him, knows what he is capable of, and will throw his way often next season. A healthy Victor Cruz in the slot will keep defenses from strictly focusing on him. They added a right tackle to their offensive line in the draft to give Eli even more time to get the ball down the field. If you thought Odell was good in 2014, 2015 could be even better!
The Argument for Jones over Beckham Jr.
Beckham Jr. may have had an impressive rookie season, but haven’t you heard of the sophomore slump? Victor Cruz will take away looks from Beckham Jr. and defenses will be ready for him this year with an offseason of watching film. Jones can’t be stopped even when defenses game plan against him. He is a freak athlete that Matt Ryan loves to throw to and dominates games. He will get his looks again this year, but will he add more touchdowns to his resume to make him a true top-3 fantasy wide receiver in 2015!
Would You Rather Draft Decision:
Julio Jones (Atlanta Falcons)
I believe in the sophomore slump and that defenses will adjust to Beckham Jr. in 2015. Adding Victor Cruz back into the mix makes it a little harder to see Odell seeing the same amount of targets he saw at the end of the 2014 season. He will have a decent season; a top-10 fantasy wide receiver season, but I like Julio in 2015 to have a higher ceiling. Julio is healthy, is the number one guy by far on the Falcons, and is Matt Ryan’s favorite target. He will see his targets, receptions, and receiving yards stay similar to his 2014 season, but his touchdown numbers will improve to double digits. I also will take Matt Ryan week to week over Eli Manning in being consistent in the passing game. Julio Jones as the clear #1 target on the Falcons over Beckham Jr. in his sophomore season and Victor Cruz taking away targets.
If you have a “Would You Rather Draft” for Dan, tweet your idea to Shep_Collins and he may pick yours to debate in an upcoming article. Follow Dan for Fantasy Football and NFL Draft insight.