Howdy Sharkfans! Week #1 is in the books with a few surprises and a few letdowns. I’d like to stop for a moment before I get into my article stuff and mention a couple of players that I kind of glossed over this preseason, and I think I may end up regretting it.
First of all, let me give a shout out to
DE Mario Williams HOU. The #1 pick of the 2006 draft was kind of pushed aside last year and never lived up to his draft status in the eyes of a lot of us. Having a year’s experience under his belt, I believe he is poised to show all of his naysayers that he is the real deal this year. If the first week of the season is any indication, he will be one of the top IDP DLs in the league.
The other guy I want to mention is Baltimore Raven safety
Ed Reed. The past couple of years haven’t been that great for this one-time IDP stud, but I think that may change a bit this season. Reed is playing with a lot of that old intensity and ball-hawking prowess that made him a star DB. He only recorded one tackle in week #1, but he was constantly around the ball. His punt return for a TD wasn’t too shabby either. Keep tabs on him the next few weeks – you can’t live on one tackle per week for IDP, but let’s see if Easy Ed can show us a little more than he has the past couple of years.
Here are some of what I consider to be good match-ups for week #2. I try to take a look at some lesser known guys each week, but if the match-up is real good then I’m bound to mention anyone.
DT – Mike Patterson PHI
– Patterson was awesome the first week against the Packers. It’s not often that DTs will put up monster IDP numbers in back-to-back weeks, but I would ride the week #1 wave with this guy going against
DE – Terrell Suggs BAL
– The Patriots put up 5 sacks against the Jet’s offensive line. Suggs will be looking for the same advantage this week.
DE – Robert Geathers CIN
– Geathers has been a guy that has burned me in the past, but he might just be living up to his potential now. With his awesome numbers from week #1 and his going against
LB – Paul Posluszny BUF
– If this rookie can hold up this season, his numbers should be very good.
LB – DJ Williams DEN
– Williams is a guy that I tried to get on a couple of my teams this year, but I wasn’t able to. He’s going to be an IDP stud this year. The only way the Raiders have a chance against the Broncos is to try to generate a lot of offense against the Broncos like they did last week. As a result, Williams should get his chances again this week.
LB – Barrett Ruud TB
– I’m a little leery of Ruud putting up monster numbers this week, but the Saints will be running the ball a lot so it’s entirely possible. I expect good things from Ruud this year.
LB – E.J. Henderson MIN
– I’d continue to ride the
S – Jim Leonhard BUF
– I know what you are saying, “Who? What?” Leonhard is going to replace Ko Simpson who is out the rest of the year. He’s going to get opportunities and he’s going to get picked on. I like his IDP chances from here on out.
S – Michael Boulware HOU
– Boulware got traded from
– This is kind of a no-brainer. The Titans go up against the high flying aerial attack of the Colts this week. Finnegan will get his share of opportunities on Sunday.
CB – Leon Hall CIN
– Hall surprised me with a pretty good showing last week.
Well, I hope these picks might benefit your team for week #2, and if not, perhaps they will be some players to keep on your radar screen for waiver wire pick-ups as the season rolls on. Thanks for reading – see you next week!