Welcome to another summer edition of the Brew Crew Corner. We are going to look at 10 running backs this season that will be 30 years old or older. The general consensus is that running backs hit a wall when they reach the age of 30. Even the best superstar stud running backs are subject to this dilemma. Let’s take a look at five running backs that were studs but hit the wall when they turned 30 in recent years.
1. LaDainian Tomlinson is one of the best examples of a stud running back falling from glory when turning 30 and hitting the wall. From 2001-09, Tomlinson was a beast, running for 1,100-plus yards in each of those seasons and scoring double-digit touchdowns. In 2009, the season he turned 30, he failed to rush for more than 1,000 yards and was out of football after 2011. In 2006, Tomlinson had the best fantasy season for a running back, posting 427 fantasy points. He rushed for 1,815 yards and 28 touchdowns that season.
2. Marshall Faulk put up 1,000 yards or more in seven of eight seasons. In 1999, he put up 1,000 or more yards in rushing and receiving. Faulk’s decline began in 2002 when he turned 29. He did rush for 10 touchdowns in 2003 at age 30 but was out of football two seasons later. Faulk had the second-best fantasy season in 2000 when he rushed for 1,359 yards and 18 touchdowns for 374 fantasy points.
3. Priest Holmes was a mad man from 2002-03 when he rushed for 1,400 yards-or-more in each year. He put up 21 rushing touchdowns in 2002. Although Holmes defied odds when he turned 30 and posted the third-best fantasy running back season with 1,420 rushing yards and 27 touchdowns in 2003, his stats almost dropped in half the next season and he was out of football two seasons later.
4. Shaun Alexander won the MVP Award with his 2005 season of 1,880 yards and 27 touchdowns. Alexander’s decline began the following season at age 29 when he rushed for about 1,000 yards less than the previous season and his touchdowns dropped from 27 to seven.
5. Edgerrin James, in the seasons he was healthy, he rushed for 1,100 yards or better in every season before he was 30. He rushed for more than 1,000 yards from 2003-07, and then in 2008 when he turned 30, his rushing yards dropped from 1,222 to 514. He played just one more season.