Football season is back as fantasy leagues, weekly pick ‘ems and survivor pools return! Each week, I will provide analysis on each game from a survivor pool perspective. You want to be very careful in selecting your games, especially in week 1, where you know the least about each team. Some general rules I like to incorporate into my selections each week include avoiding road teams and divisional matchups. I will almost never take a road team against a divisional opponent unless the week provides me no other option. Those games are where the most upsets occur.
Remember the idea of the game is to survive and advance. While it is strategic to look ahead at the future weeks, do not look too far ahead to sacrifice the current week you are in.
With that said, let’s break down the games …
THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL
Vikings @ Saints
– Since the NFL started allowing the Super Bowl champion to host the opening Thursday night game at home, they have not lost. The week 1 schedule is pretty evenly matched, but it would take some courage to take the Saints after these two teams battled in overtime for the NFC Championship.
Broncos @ Jaguars
– Here’s one of the ugly week 1 matchups.
Raiders @ Titans
Bengals @ Patriots
– Randy Moss, Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco on the field at once? If only this was 2007. Either way, looking for some points to be scored in this game, but don’t overlook that
Browns @ Buccaneers
Colts @ Texans
– Is this finally the year for
Lions @ Bears
– Anyone who plays the Lions always seems like a potential option, but three things are going against that in this one. This is a divisional game,
Falcons @ Steelers
– This game is virtually a pick ‘em due to the fact that Ben Roethlisberger will not be suiting up. I still like
Dolphins @ Bills
– The schedule makers took it easy on
Panthers @ Giants
– ‘Big Blue’ was embarrassed last season against
Packers @ Eagles
– This should be a great game in
Cardinals @ Rams
– What a difference a year makes. Last season,
49ers @ Seahawks
– The 49ers finally have everything in place to win the NFC West. They are the Houston Texans of the NFC as every year recently experts have predicted them to be a sleeper team and sneak into the playoffs. Neither
SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL
Cowboys @ Redskins
– NFC East rivalry on Sunday night football to cap off the night. It will be interesting to see how the Redskins begin the season with all of the new faces at home against the NFC East favorites. Avoid.
MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL
Ravens @ Jets
– The Jets talk a lot. It all starts from their head coach. A lot of teams will be gunning for the Jets this season so be cautious when picking them as they could be primed for an upset with teams wanting to play their best against them. Don’t get me wrong, the Jets should have a good year, but expect an upset or two. This one is an evenly matched battle, though.
Chargers @ Chiefs
– This game sums up several of the week 1 matchups. Divisional games with the favorite being the road team. That is always dangerous and you can expect a few home underdogs to pull off wins. This is why I am avoiding all of these games.
Staying away from road teams in week 1 …
GIANTS are the Week 1 Selection.
Other teams to look out for: Titans, Bears, Saints