The Hive – Special Playoff Edition
Welcome back to The Hive! Better late than never, technical difficulties bring you an altered version of your usual game by game breakdowns here at The Hive. It’s week 15, so you don’t need me to tell you to start Pat Willis or Justin Tuck or Yeremiah Bell at this point in the year. So this week we are going to take a look at some 2
tier IDP’s with excellent matchups this week.
Gravy matchups – DE/DT
1) Richard Seymour NEP vs Oakland – Seymour has always been one of those guys who is a better real life player than IDP, but this week against the sorry pass protection of the Raiders would be a good time to use him as your DE1. He should have a huge game against a poor pass protection scheme, even with the limited number of times Oakland attempts to pass.
2) Dwight Freeney IND vs Detroit – Freeney has been maddeningly inconsistent, while fellow Colts DE Robert Mathis has put up a top 5 season in most formats. Freeney should be able to dominate a terrible Lions OL, and I expect big things out of him and Mathis this week.
3) Mike Montgomery GB vs Jacksonville – Another case where I see a #2 DE possibly doing as much damage as the “stud” DE on the team. Montgomery should at least be able to rack up some tackles against the Jags run game, and a sack is far from out of the question.
Gravy matchups – LB
1) Zach Thomas DAL vs New York Giants – Thomas had 8 solos and 3 assisted tackles against the Giants earlier this season, and in tackle heavy leagues he just might be able to get you into your title game.
2) Gerald Hayes ARI vs Minnesota – MLB’s vs ADP often work out great for IDP owners, and I expect Hayes to have a solid game this week. He’s not going to make a ton of big plays, as that is Karlos Dansby’s bag, but he should put up nice tackle numbers at a minimum.
3) BONUS “BIG CAJONES” PLAY – DJ Williams DEN vs Carolina – Williams is listed as probable this week, and according to some of the Denver papers he is moving back to MLB so Wesley Woodyard can continue to start at WILL (at the expense of early season stallion Nate Webster). The matchup is tasty, but it takes stones the size of Alaska to start a guy in his 1st game back coming off an injury. Start with caution, but the upside is HUGE.
Gravy matchups – CB/S
1) Cedric Griffin/Darren Sharper/Madieu Williams MIN vs Arizona – I like all three of these guys against the high flying Cardinals offense. Antoine Winfield is a given, but depending on your roster any of the other 3 Vikings DB’s could be huge for you this week.
2) Brandon Merriweather NEP vs Oakland – Merriweather has been a solid IDP since week 11, and he’s a fantastic start in turnover heavy leagues against the Raiders.
3) Richard Marshall CAR vs Denver – With no RB’s left on the roster and receiving talent to burn, I expect Denver to spread the Panthers out, which means plenty of playing time for Marshall, who is coming off a 9 solo/1 sack performance in week 14.
That wraps it up for week 15! Good luck in your playoff matchups!