Greetings Sharkfans, welcome to the latest installment of the Seadog Report! Week 5 was a little kinder to the Seadog last week, how’d everyone else do? I think now is a good time to start recognizing some of the more consistent IDP performers as opposed to the “one week wonders” that always appear the first couple of weeks. It’s tough, though. Injuries change the whole complexion of things and Waiver Wires are getting hammered right now. Don’t you just love this hobby?
This past week’s Top Dawgs
DL Robert Mathis IND 7 tackles, 1 assist, 2 sacks, 1 pass-defensed, and 1 forced fumble.
LB Keith Bullock TEN 12 tackles, 3 assists, 1 sack, and 1 pass-defensed.
DB Marlon McCree 10 tackles, 2 passes-defensed, and 2 int’s.
Seadog’s picks of the week
DL Kalimba Edwards DET vs. Carolina Edwards has been stepping up to the plate lately and producing with consistency. This isn’t necessarily the best match-up this week, but he should get you some points.
DL James Reed NYJ vs. Buffalo I expect the Jet’s DL’s to be causing some disruption for the Bills on Sunday. Reed has been flying under the radar a bit, but if you need a quick fix at DT or DL, he’s a good one to grab this week.
DL John Henderson JAX vs. Baltimore Henderson put up 7 or 8 tackles last week as a defensive tackle! That’s huge for that position. Play him while he’s hot.
DL Seattle vs. Houston Unless you hear otherwise, feel free to play any defensive linemen against the sieve that is the Texan’s offensive line.
LB Derrick Johnson KC vs. Washington Going with the young gun movement this week. I’ve mentioned Johnson before, but just in case you missed it, this kid is for real. I think he’ll have double-digit tackles this week.
LB Demorrio Williams ATL vs. New Orleans Tackles, sacks, whatever, Williams keeps putting up the numbers. The Saint’s are in disarray and I think Atlanta’s defense will be all over them on Sunday.
LB Lofa Tatupu SEA vs. Houston Tatupu has had two solid weeks in a row. I think he’s starting to come into his own.
DB Demarcus Faggins HOU vs. Seattle Faggins has replaced Phillip Buchanon at CB for the Texans and has looked good from a fantasy perspective. He’s probably around on a lot of waiver wires out there, so if you need a CB, he’s worth a shot.
DB Charles Tillman CHI vs. Minnesota I just like this match-up this week. Tillman has posted some decent numbers so far, and I think he’ll be tested by Culpepper and the Vikes this week.
DB Darrent Williams and Domonique Foxworth DEN vs. New England Denver has been forced to play these young guys because of injuries. Make sure that they are starting this week, but you know that Tom Brady will be picking on them.
Lastly, there’s been a lot of talk in the IDP forum about DB Ed Reed BAL. The question seems to be “when is this guy going to show up this year?” Good question. I’ve been wondering the same myself. I picked him up in his rookie year for my dynasty league and he has been huge for me in the past, but I haven’t been able to rely on him at all this year. Personally, I think he’s been hampered by a somewhat different scheme under a new defensive coordinator as well as having swapped postions with Wil Demps.
So, what do you do with him? I’m going to sit him and hope that he snaps out of it, but if you don’t have that option, and I hate to say it, I’d look to get rid of him. Perhaps you can trade him based on past reputation, or perhaps you need to go on the waiver wire to find a replacement. Either way, the season is getting to that point where if you are struggling with point production for your team, it’s probably not feasible to sit on someone hoping they will bust out. This is a tough call, but that’s what I’d do.
Well, that wraps up this segment of the Seadog Report. Now I’d like to introduce a new feature that we are going to bring you this year. As you may or may not know, a twelve team IDP-only league has been started this year in the Sharktank. We call it “The Wall”. It is comprised of some IDP veterans as well as some IDP “newbies”. Regardless as to IDP background, these guys all know their way around fantasy football and are showing it in this league. We’d like for you to follow along with us this year to perhaps glean some insight into the wonderful world of IDPs (plus, it will give you a good chance to make fun of yours truly)
The Wall Report
This week featured our first call for instant replay as Johnnyballgame threw the red flag onto the field in response to an ESPN scoring discrepancy having to do with the Cincy – Jax game. The play in question occurred towards the end of the game when LB Daryl Smith of Jacksonville apparently sacked and forced a fumble on QB Carson Palmer of the Bengals. This play is currently under review in the Wall, but, as of this writing, the ruling on the field stands. Here’s how it played out this week:
HAS A KILLER D (2-3) @ ROUGHNESS #42 (3-2)
Has a Killer D, Dgack 180.5
Roughness #42, Johnnyballgame 175
– Keith Bullock (40 pts – nice call Paddler) was the star for Dgack’s team this week. JBG had some strong performances by his LB’s and CB’s (Ulbrich, Urlacher, Barber, Brown). Tough loss for the Roughness team but congrats go to Dgack with the high score of the week.
CHARGERS (2-3) @ DESTRUCTION (4-1)
Lt1800 Chargers, lt1800 120.5
Destruction, Paddler 147.5
– This was an ugly week for the DL’s on both sides (16.5 total points). Paddler’s LB’s were the major difference in this contest (Ayodele, Barnett, Wilson, Brooks).
BEARS (2-3) @ LARCENY (2-2-1)
1985 Bears, SoCalIrishSports 149.5
Brooklyn Larceny, CleffedUp 129
– Not a real standout game for either side in this contest, but it was solidly played. Brooking and Tillman showed up for Cleffed; Morgan and Herndon came through for SoCal. The Bear’s DP player (Cato June 25 pts) was the difference-maker.
BUS (2-3) @ FECEFLINGERS (3-1-1)
The Hussy Bus, Hussy Bus 165
Feceflingers, SJSwarm 134
– The Bus is rolling (and with a vengeance I might add) as they take out another Wall heavy hitter this week. Chris Crocker(who?) was huge for the Bus team, while Robert Mathis was the star for Swarm’s team. Nice job, Hussy Bus.
WRECKS (3-2) @ PANACHEVITZ (1-4)
Deck’s Wrecks, Decktard 142.5
Snazzy Panazzy Panachevitz, Panachevitz 116
– Decktard was extremely happy to see Zach Thomas (39.5 pts) return to his team from the bye as he seemed to cruise to a victory this week. Other than Troy Vincent (23 pts), Panachevitz couldn’t muster enough to pull another “upset”.
SEADOG (2-3) @ GBALLS (3-2)
Team Seadog, Seadog 138
Team Gballs, Gballs1 112.5
– If you had asked me a couple of weeks ago that I could beat the mighty Team Gballs with 138 points, I would have told you that you were crazy. However, thanks to some solid points from Vanden Bosch, Vilma and my secret weapon Lofa Tatupu, (not to mention some bye week adversity for Gballs), I managed to pull off a rather easy victory. Donnie Edwards (36 pts) was the lone bright spot for Gballs this week.
Thanks for reading – see ya next week!